Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Sunday Salon 8-16-09

How can it be possible that Sunday is here already?

It has been a pretty good week reading-wise, and surprisingly, the two books I finished stray from my typical, preferred genres. I haven't read many young adult novels since ... well, since I was a young adult (and that was more than two decades ago). Similarly, I usually steer clear of chick-lit, maybe picking up one such novel once a year.

But for whatever reason, this week's reading contained - you guessed it - a young adult novel and a chick-lit book.

This week I read John Green's Looking for Alaska, his first novel, which is also the first one of his I've read. It won't be the last. (I have An Abundance of Katherines in my Library Loot pile but probably won't get to it for awhile.) I'd heard so much about John Green from other bloggers, so when I came across Looking for Alaska at the library, I thought I'd see what all the hype is about. I'm glad I did, and I think this is a great coming-of-age novel. It will likely get a 4 from me. I think my young adult self would have put this as a 4.5.

Today I finished Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner. I've been listening to it on audio for two weeks now, and quite honestly, I started getting a little restless and impatient towards the end of last week. At 12 CDs, this was a longer than usual audiobook for me, but there were elements of the plot that I thought went on a bit longer than necessary. I happened to see the print version at the library so today I read the last 80 pages. I'm thinking it will be getting 3.5 stars (out of 5) from me, and as such, my chick-lit fix is probably satiated for another year or so.

(To my longtime friend in real life and new blog reader who wrote me a lovely letter this week after discovering my blog ... since you mentioned you like chick-lit, you might like Little Earthquakes.)

Not sure how much reading I have left in me for today's Salon. I have a headache and am hoping it goes away before tonight's Season 3 Premiere of Mad Men! (Any other Mad Men fans out there?)

Coming up this week, I'm planning on listening to The History of Love by Nicole Krauss and reading Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek.

What are you reading today?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I loved Looking For Alaska. After reading John Green's blog and watching the videos that him and his brother did, I really do have a huge literary crush on him. Shame Paper Towns and Katherines haven't been released in this country.

JoAnn said...

The HIstory of Love was an excellent audio - hope you enjoy it, too! I haven't read any YA or chick lit in ages, but will be trying some YA titles soon. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is near the top of my tbr pile. Have a good week!

imbookingit said...

I'll be picking up Looking For Alaska this week, for one of my book clubs. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it. I'll probably be listening to it.

I enjoyed Little Earthquakes years ago, but I read it on paper, which takes care of some of the dragging for me, since I read fast :-).

Enjoy your reading this week!

IMOK said...

Why I'm reading your blog, of course!

Thanks for the nod and suggestion. I'll look into it, though I am not tied to chick lit any more than any other genre, not yet anyway!

Jodie said...

Yay I'm so glad you liked 'Looking for Alaska' because y'know people should! Oh and thansk for adding me to your blog roll, love finding new people are reading my blog - you go straight on my bloglines.