Saturday, September 5, 2009

Best of the Week - Labor Day Weekend Edition

It's a longer weekend than usual (for some of us) and hence, a longer Best Of the Week roundup for your reading and clicking pleasure.

(All right, I confess ... it's a double dose because I didn't get around to posting last week's Best Of.)

Imagine the day when 20,000 books in a school library are replaced ... by 18 e-readers. Unthinkable? Well, it seems that day is here for Cushing Academy, a prep school near Boston, as reported in this article found on Mashable!

From the story: The cost of this makeover will be nearly $500,000, but the folks at Cushing think it’ll be worth it. “Instead of a traditional library with 20,000 books, we’re building a virtual library where students will have access to millions of books,’’ says James Tracy, headmaster of Cushing.

He also has an interesting view on books in general. “When I look at books, I see an outdated technology, like scrolls before books (…) This isn’t ‘Fahrenheit 451’. We’re not discouraging students from reading. We see this as a natural way to shape emerging trends and optimize technology.’’

All I have to say is ... wow.
I wanted to write about Ted Kennedy last week, but as I read so many of the tributes to him, I realized so many others have paid homage to him more articulately and eloquently than I ever could have. Here are two of the best articles, posts, etc. that I've read about Teddy Kennedy:

Senator Kennedy was a force of nature, a lion, an elegant street fighter for social justice, writes Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner on MomsRising.org.

Kennedy's dogs will be missed on the hill, according to this story from Politico.

My friend Stephanie has a lovely post, Grief and $20 Words, on her blog. Steph is a grief therapist and a writer, and knows of what she speaks (and writes).

Laura from Adventures of a Young Feminist has a lovely tribute to singer, songwriter, and record producer Ella Greenwich, who died of a heart attack last week. Never heard of Ella? Neither had I, but her songs ... oh, you know her songs. As well as the female bands who she supported, promoted and most of all, believed in.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the whole debate and issues surrounding the chemical bisphenol-A, BPA as I should be, and shame on me for that. Moms Blogging has been on this issue, thankfully, and this post explained the issues for me in a simple but substantial way.

Some fun finds around the Internet that I've found this week:

You can download and Jazz Up Your Rooms with Free Art!

I didn't know about the Google Wonder Wheel until I read Jackie's post about it on Farm Lane Books. I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks like fun.

OK, the person who came up with Kid Rocket - an Internet browser for kids? You've probably saved the peace in our house. For that, you've been named in our Will. (Oh, wait ... that's right. There's nothing to be mentioned in the Will anymore, thanks to the decimation of our 401k's. Never mind. We still love the Kid Rocket anyway.) Thanks to Garibay Soup for the "Things I Love Thursday" post mentioning this cool find.

Why Being Less Protective is Better for Your Kids should be required reading for every parent.

Michelle Whittle On the Human Element, from Philadelphia Stories Weblog.

I could swear that Mr. Sparkle has been living in our house, as well as the home of Clark Kent's Lunchbox. (If you love the name of this blog - as I do - you'll love the well-written and funny as hell posts over there.)

Enjoy your weekend, everybody!



No comments: