Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dreaming of Books

True story, this.

Or, I should clarify, a true dream. As in, one that I really had earlier this morning. (It's 4:39 a.m. as I write this post.)

I'm driving home after spending the day with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, and I remember that I will be passing a Barnes & Noble ... and that I have two B&N gift cards burning a hole in my purse.

(True. I do, indeed, have two such cards. And a MIL and SIL who I like spending time with.)

I fish around in my purse for the cards, find them, and pull into the parking lot of B&N. I'm on a mission ... I must have the new Lorrie Moore book, "A Gate at the Stairs." I make my way to the New Fiction shelves and lo and behold, there it is. After 11 years, I have my hands on a new Lorrie Moore book. I hold it lovingly, open the cover ....

And my new, very-real life, very nocturnal cat (to put it mildly) wakes me up, playing with the cord that is charging my cell phone beside the bed.

No reading for you, Melissa. Not even in your dreams.

You know you're into books when you dream about reading.

It's 4:47 a.m., and thankfully, Barnes & Noble is open online. So if you'll excuse me, I have a little book shopping to do ... specifically, one new Lorrie Moore.

1 comment:

Alipet813 said...

I just looked this book up over the weekend. I had seen it in Reader's Digest and was curious. I held off on buying it, but I can't wait to see what you think of it!