Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fall Into Reading

It's the first day of fall ... and the first day of the Fall Into Reading 2009 Challenge, hosted by Katrina over at her blog Callapidder Days. (You can find all the details here. There are over 100 of us participating in this, last I looked, and you can join in anytime.)

Now, y'all know I'm not big on the reading challenges, but this one seems do-able (and really, isn't that button just too cute?)

You see, I kind of have this big ol' TBR pile of library books that I wrote about during BBAW last week (OK, OK, here's the photo again so I can embarrass myself a second time.)

Mind you, the total number of books on my night table is more than I have read so far this year. So, really, the reality is that I will likely have to do some selective reading from this pile.

And here's a little secret, just between us: I'm 10 books away from a total of 50 books read this year, which would be a personal all-time record for me (well, since I was an adult, anyway. I'm sure my mom would be willing to bet that I read way more than 50 books a year back in the day.)

Here, then, are the books I plan to read for the Fall Into Reading Challenge. (One question: do audiobooks count? I'm including them anyway, but if they don't, no big deal.)

Audio Books


1. A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini (audio) - Because I am the only person who has never read this or The Kite Runner. I started this on audio in the middle of last week but had to start over today because I went several days without my usual commute and lost track of the storyline. (finished 9/30/09!)

2. Secrets of a Fire King - by Kim Edwards - I loved The Memory Keepers Daughter, and am interested to see if this previous novel is just as good. (OK, it's a short story collection. Did not know this. And yes, it should be moved down to the Short Stories, but that will mess up my list ... so it's staying here.)

3. Linda McCartney: A Portrait - by Danny Fields - Because I've always thought Linda was a class act. (Just like her husband.)

Fiction

4. The Confessions of Max Tivoli - by Andrew Sean Greer - Because I loved The Story of a Marriage. Loved. It.
(finished 10/9/09)

5. Falling Man - by Don DeLillo - Because it's been on my TBR list for awhile.

6. A Mad Desire to Dance - by Elie Weisel - Because it's Elie Weisel.

7. A Mercy - Toni Morrison - Because it's Toni Morrison.

8. Paper Towns - John Green - I recently read Looking for Alaska and really liked it. People have been raving about this one, so it made the list. (I also have An Abundance of Katherines in that library pile, too.)

9. I See You Everywhere - by Julia Glass - Because it looks good.

10. The School of Essential Ingredients - by Erica Bauermeister - Because it has been getting great reviews and it's been on my TBR list for awhile.

Nonfiction
11. Making It All Work - by David Allen - David Allen's "Getting Things Done" approach to dealing with all the "stuff" that makes up the to-do lists of our lives is the only productivity "system" that has ever worked for me. I've been off the wagon with GTD more than I care to admit, and I am currently on the ground while the wagon is ready to run me over. (OK, maybe that's a little melodramatic.) This made the Fall Into Reading Challenge because I'm hoping it will help me get back into the swing of things.

12. Dreams from My Father - by Barack Obama - Because the man is my President and I feel obligated to read his book.

13. The Soloist - by Steve Lopez - Because Steve is a Philly guy who wrote great columns when he was a journalist for The Philadelphia Inquirer and I won't see the movie before reading the book. (One of my life rules.)

14. Bloggers on the Bus: How the Internet Changed Politics and the Press - by Eric Boehlert - Because you seriously expect me to resist a book with the word "blogger" in the title? One that is also about politics? And the media? Resistence is futile.

Short Story Collections

15. The PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2009 -
I just started this collection and am up to the 3rd story. I love short story collections, and this is usually one of my favorites each year. (finished 10/2/09!)

16. Wonderful Town: New York Stories from The New Yorker - Every time I go into a bookstore, I look at this book. (Why I haven't purchased it, I don't know.) So when I saw it on the library shelf, I knew it was coming home with me.

17. Dear Husband - Joyce Carol Oates - Because I've never read any Joyce Carol Oates, if you can believe that.

Looking at this list, this seems ridiculous, doesn't it? Especially when you consider that I've signed myself up for NaNoWriMo in November (the busiest month of the year in the Betty and Boo household) and that I am also hoping to have all of my reviews that are still outstanding done before NaNoWriMo begins.

But, it is all in good fun. (Remind me of that, please, when I start crying that I didn't get to as many as I planned way back on September 22.) And if you'd like to join in, remember to stop over at Callipidder Days and sign up!

4 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

In my opinion audiobooks count, but I'm not running the meme! But why wouldn't they, unless they were abridged I guess. But when you think about it, isn't abridgment sort of like scanning?!!! I vote YES!

JoAnn said...

I just love your list...but no JCO, ever? And sure, audios count. The School of Essential Ingredients was wonderful on audio. I didn't like Max Tivoli anywhere near as much as Story of a Marriage...will look forward to seeing what you think of it. So many great books ahead!

Nina said...

Great list, Paper Towns - John Green sounds great. I have heard some great things about the book! Have fun reading.

Nise' said...

Great line up of books for your reading pleasure. Paper Towns was really good.