Thursday, September 17, 2009

Philadelphia Libraries to Remain Open!

It's a good day in Philadelphia.

I wrote earlier this week about the impending closures of Philadelphia's entire library system, and word comes tonight that thankfully, it seems that they will be remaining open.

According to The Philadelphia Inquirer's story, "state lawmakers granted final approval today to a temporary Philadelphia sales tax hike and a two-year reprieve on city pension payments, a pair of critically needed measures that plug the final $700 million hole in a multi-year deficit that once stood at $2.4 billion."

This means that the drastic measures of closing libraries, recreation centers, and laying off more than 3,000 people (including police and firefighters) can now be avoided.

Pennsylvania, however, is still without a state budget, so it's not all sunny skies here. Partly cloudy is more like it.

Hey, we'll take it.

6 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

celebrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Florinda said...

Well, that's pretty darn good news. Do you think that talking-to from Ben Franklin helped :-)?

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

That Ben is a pretty persuasive guy and knows how to get things done, I've heard. Not sure if it was his blog post. Maybe he was haunting them.

Rita said...

well, I don't live in Philly, but I have many friends that do and I know that this makes them very happy. It makes me very happy and I'm far away in sunny South Fla.

Rebecca Reid said...

I am so glad to hear that! I started panicking about my library and wondering what I'd do without it!

Lisa said...

This is great news! I haven't see it mentioned anywhere else yet, just that they were closing. I can't imagine libraries not being available.