Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Let the Celebrating of Books Begin!

"Are you still reading through those book blogs for those awards?" my husband asked, last night around 9:30.

I nodded, and he gave me that half-smile that I've come to know so well over the past 19 years - that you're crazy for doing this but this is part of your charm and why I love you anyway type of look/smile.

Let me tell you ... as someone participating in their first BBAW, I have a whole new 'preciation for the panelists after going through the nominees. (Not that I didn't have such an appreciation before. Let's be clear on that.)

Since Monday, there has not been one night this week that I have gone to bed before 12:30 a.m. because of reading through the blogs nominated for the awards. I really tried to give this the consideration and seriousness (is that a word?) it deserved. Still, I know that my time input is nowhere near the number of hours that the panelists dedicated (on a volunteer basis, mind you) to this project. From reading many of the blogs about the process (and this post of Amy's) it was much more involved and on such a large scale with the number of panelists than I ever realized. This is a huge event - from the number of blogs participating (over 1,000 and who knows, maybe more) to the time commitment involved.

So, allow me to use this Sunday's Salon post as a thank you - to My Friend Amy, to the panelists, to everyone involved in putting this whole party together. I think we're in for a fun week of exploding Google Readers as we discover new blogs and celebrate all things books ... and that's the spirit of what this is all about, isn't it?

No comments: