Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Sunday Salon: September 20, 2009

Like everyone, I'm experiencing a little bit of a book blog hangover this weekend, having indulged in all (well, most) that Book Blogger Appreciation Week had to offer. I did most of the daily writing topics, except for Wednesday's, and tried to visit as many blogs as possible (and I know there are countless more that I still want to get to!)

If this week did anything else, it deepened my appreciation for all of you and the folks who made BBAW possible. Thank you so much for making my first BBAW such a fun one!
As for actual reading, I finished Rachel Simon's memoir Building a Home with My Husband: A Journey Through the Renovation of Love. It's the story of a home renovation, yes, but also the story of the structure, demolition, and renovation of relationships with family, husbands, and friends. If Rachel's name sounds familiar, it might be because she's the bestselling author of Riding the Bus with My Sister, which was a bestseller and made into a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie starring Rosie O'Donnell and Andie McDowell.

I'm a huge fan of Rachel's work and have been for years (full disclaimer: I took a writing class with her several years ago), and am hoping to have my review completed soon (this would also qualify for the Literary Road Trip since she lives in my very own new state! Squeeeeeeee!)

(I'm also trying to see if there is interest in my hosting Rachel for brunch or an author dinner here in my home, whereby everyone would bring the book (already read) for dinner and conversation with Rachel. I'd need 12 people in person to pull this off.If interested, and if you're someplace in the Philly/DE/eastern shore MD area, let me know in the comments and we can chat.)

Today I'm finishing the exquisite Last Night in Montreal by Emily St. John Mandel, which is a book I would not have discovered without the praise of book bloggers. This is a book where everything works - the characters, the plot, the pacing. I can't wait to see how it ends, yet I know I will be sad to put it down. This is a debut novel, and it is a phenomenal one.


I'm not sure what print book is next, but my audio book this week is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I am one of the only two remaining people on earth who hasn't read The Kite Runner. Both have been on my bookshelves forever, and the audio gives me a chance to "read" something I own.



Finally, I was inspired by my BBAW interview partner's many challenges, so I've decided to sign up for the Fall Into Reading Challenge being hosted over at Callapidder Days. As evidenced by my Show Us the TBR post from BBAW, I clearly need to make a dent in my library TBR pile (and I'm embarrassed to say that I have 4 more from today's library stop to add to the stack), so this seemed like a fun Challenge to do. It starts on Tuesday (the first day of fall, can you believe it?!) so there is still time to sign up.

Hope everyone has had a great Sunday and a great week ahead!

5 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Yes! I want to come to brunch! Unfortunately, I'm around 3,000 miles away, but that doesn't mean I don't want to come!!! :--)

I hope you can pull it together - it sounds great!!!

JoAnn said...

The brunch/dinner is a wonderful idea...wish I lived closer! Will be looking forward to your review.
I loved both of Hosseini's books and can't wait to hear him speak in Syracuse next month. Last Night in Montreal sounds like another for the wish list.. there have been some great blogger reviews!

Belle said...

I'd love to come to brunch, too - if only I lived close by! Building a Home with My Husband sounds like a great read (I have been living in the midst of a renovation for the past seven years ...)

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

I'm so glad all of you would WANT to come! Perhaps the next best thing would be an author interview on my blog ... that might actually be easier! :)

And Belle, anyone who has been living w/ a renovation for 7 years should be elevated to sainthood. You would probably like this book for that reason alone!

DemMom said...

A Thousand Splendid Suns is great, hope you like it.