Monday, September 7, 2009

When Life Hands You Lemons, Give Out a Lemonade Award

The short list for the Book Blogger Appreciation Week awards were announced today, and like many of us, the first thing I did when I woke up this morning was log onto my computer.

(Who am I kidding? I do that every morning.)

It was great to see that so many of my favorite blogs made it to this next round and I've been trying to get to as many of them as possible today to offer my congratulations in the comments. Even on a holiday, that's proving impossible - just as it is also impossible to short-list everyone who deserves to be short-listed.

So that's where The Lemonade Award comes in. I received this a few weeks ago from Julie J., over at My Own Little Corner of the World, a new blogging friend to me. Thank you, Julie, so very, very much! I've been remiss acknowledging it publicly and passing it on to 10 blogs.

On the rare occasion that someone sees fit to bestow an award like The Lemonade Award on my blog, I try not to reciprocate with a "this-goes-out-to-all-399-blogs-in-my-Google-Reader!" (Note to self: really? 399 subscriptions in my Google Reader? Must get that into the 400 level ASAP!)

But today, it doesn't seem right to single out 10 blogs. It just doesn't.

I'm thinking that those of us nominated for BBAW but who didn't see our blogs on the short list this morning might be feeling a little bittersweet today - happy that our friends have gone on to the next round and being the first to vote for them, while staring blankly at our computer screens wondering what it is that we could have done differently or what about our blogs didn't make the cut.

So on this last unofficial day of summer, I raise this glass of lemonade and bestow this award (which goes to blogs that show great attitude or gratitude) on all of us who didn't make it to the fab five of the short list we were nominated for.

And, on this Labor Day holiday for those of us celebrating such, I raise another glass of lemonade to My Friend Amy and the BBAW committee for all their incredible hard work behind-the-scenes to make BBAW such a fun, community-building event. Thousands of hours of work went into this, with much more to come, and the careful consideration that you approached your jobs with is recognized and appreciated more than you probably know.

If you're in the category of not being nominated and/or a member of the BBAW committee/panelists, and you'd like a glass of lemonade, consider this my treat:

Remember to put the Lemonade Award logo on your blog or post.
Nominate at least 10 blogs that show great attitude or gratitude.
Link your nominees within your post.
Let the nominees know they have received this award by commenting on their blog.
Share the love and link to the person from whom you received the award.

Oh, and one more thing: go over to the BBAW site and vote for the BBAW nominees!

5 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

What a nice toast! And congratulations on your award!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Congrats on getting the lemonade award and for sharing your attitude of gratitude!

You're absolutely right, we could spend all day visiting blogs, and still feel like we might have left someone off our lists!

I love that the themed reading posts for next week begin with the suggestion for Monday - thanking specific bloggers whose names were not on the short list this morning. Everyone deserves recognition for the time and effort they put into spreading the joy of reading thru their blogs!

Beth F said...

Congrats on your award!! I too have a zillion blogs in my reader.

Sip that wonderful lemonade and know that you have a lot of readers (like me) who visit your blog regularly!

I hope everyone posts on Monday about their favorite blogs that didn't make the short lists.

Marie said...

that's really sweet :-) congrats on the lemonade award!

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

Nicely done! I clink my glass of lemonade with yours!