Thursday, October 22, 2009

Crockpot Recipe (especially for my Read-a-Thon Friends!): Easiest Black Bean and Brown Rice Chili

For those of us doing the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon this weekend, I thought I would share a crockpot recipe that is so easy and tasty. It would be perfect to have simmering away while you are Read-a-Thoning. Plus, the intro to the recipe says that "it is indeed easy enough for kids to make." (Even better ... put the kids to work in the kitchen while you read!)

You probably have the ingredients on hand already. Even if you're not doing the Read-a-Thon, you can still make this. :)

I made this last weekend and the only change I would make is to use one of those slow-cooker liners. (Love those!) This took awhile to scrub off, and if you're doing the Read-a-Thon, that's time much better spent reading or cheerleading.

The recipe comes from my favorite crockpot cookbook (which I own, thanks to The Dean buying it for me last Christmas), Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufman.

Easiest Black Bean and Brown Rice Chili

Use a medium round crockpot (I used a 3 qt. and this was fine)

Two 15 oz. cans black beans, with their liquid
One 14.5 to 16 oz. can crushed or chopped tomatoes, with their liquid
1/2 cup brown rice
1 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 - 1 whole canned chipotle chile, to your taste, cut into small pieces (I didn't use this and we didn't miss it. I'm not a fan of very spicy food.)

Plain yogurt or warm flour tortillas for serving

Pour the beans and their liquid and the tomatoes and their liquid into the slow cooker. Add the brown rice, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and chipotle; stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 - 8 hours.

Serve the chili in bowls, topped with a spoonful of yogurt, or wrap some in a warm tortilla.

My notes: We liked this very much. This will thicken as it cooks, making a very nice filling for tortillas. I added a generous portion of shredded cheddar cheese to each portion upon serving. I think it would be perfect with cornbread or perhaps a green salad, or even over mashed potatoes. We had enough left over for The Dean and Boo to enjoy for lunch the next day - I think they had it with tortilla chips, like nachos.

Here are some of my other crockpot recipe posts that you might enjoy for Read-a-Thon weekend. Bon appetit! (Hmm ... this makes me think ... wouldn't a Read-a-Thon Cookbook be a great idea?! Or, at the very least, a cute button with a Mister Linky. Might have to think about that, unless someone has already done so ....)

Creamy Split Pea Soup
Mediterranean Minestrone Casserole
Easy Cheesy Ravioli Casserole (in the crockpot!)
Crockpot Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Crockpot Tomato Florentine Soup

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

This sounds delicious! I love my crock pot and will definitely give it a try. A very timely pre-read-a-thon post!