Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall Into Reading Challenge Update - Month 1

Now that the Fall Into Reading 2009 Challenge is (can you believe it?) more than a month old already, I thought I'd give an update on how I'm doing. As a reminder, it's being hosted over at Callapidder Days if you want to check it out and participate.

For the first bona-fide challenge that I've entered, I'm pretty pleased with my progress thus far. (I entered two other challenges, but wasn't very vigilant about keeping track, etc.)
So here's where we are, one month into this:

Currently Listening To:

Linda McCartney: A Portrait (audio) - by Danny Fields


Currently Reading:
Parallel Play: Growing Up with Undiagnosed Aspergers, by Tim Page
(this is a new addition to my Fall Reading Challenge list, which seems to change every few days.)

Books Completed (links take you to my reviews):
A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini (audio) - (finished 9/30/09)
The Pen/O.Henry Prize Stories - (finished 10/2/09)
The Confessions of Max Tivoli, by Andrew Sean Greer - (finished 10/9/09

Started, but Abandoned
Secrets of a Fire King (stories) (audio), by Kim Edwards
Dear Husband (stories), by Joyce Carol Oates
Falling Man, by Don DeLillo

Returned to the Library Unread (but planning to check out again soon)
Wonderful Town: New York Stories from The New Yorker

Coming Up:
A Mad Desire to Dance, by Elie Weisel
A Mercy, by Toni Morrison
Paper Towns, by John Green
I See You Everywhere, by Julia Glass
The School of Essential Ingredients - by Erica Bauermeister
Making It All Work, by David Allen
Dreams from My Father, by Barack Obama
The Soloist, by Steve Lopez
Bloggers on the Bus: How the Internet Changed Politics and the Press, by Eric Boehlert

Hope everyone is enjoying their fall and that those of you who participated in the Read-a-Thon are recovered (or recuperating)!


Pain in the rear disclaimer that's unfortunately become necessary after finding one too many of my posts on weird "blogs" and content sites: Photos and text copyright 2009 MelissaF. If you are reading this anywhere other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or a feed reader, then this content has been stolen and used without permission. Please read the original The Betty and Boo Chronicles and help stop content thieves. A pox on all their houses. (Nah, I ain't bitter. Why you ask?)

4 comments:

Eva said...

Congrats on all your progress with your challenge!:) The only way I can keep track of mine is with a page on my blog! I'm planning on reading Paper Towns soon too. I read A Mercy earlier this year and loved it!

K a b l o o e y said...

You know, I've never been any good at keeping track of what all I read, and the result is I have rebought and even reread books before realizing. (You'd think I'd have hated all those books, but no. I just read all the time and have a terrible memory.) And I've been failing to keep a "reading log" since 4th grade. Hated to do it. Now I bet it would change what I read to a degree if I had to keep a public record. Do you think it affects what you choose at all?

JoAnn said...

You're doing great, Melissa! How far did you get with Falling Man? I bought it at the library book sale, read 10 or 20 pages, and decided it wasn't the book for that particular time. I've never read DeLillo and thought that would be a good place to start (it's shorter than some of his other stuff!) Wondering if I should try again or not...

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Eva - thanks! Good to know about A Mercy!

Kablooey - I used to keep a journal with the books I've read, but then I couldn't remember what they were about. My blog didn't start as a book blog, but it's morphed into somewhat of one. Interesting question on if it affects my reading choices ... in some ways, yes. I am consciously looking for books that have been reviewed on a blog, in some ways. (I think you may have just prompted a post! :)

JoAnn - same as you ... I didn't get too far into Falling Man either. I've had a lot of heavy reads lately, and I think this one kind of put me over the top. Needed something a little lighter.