Friday, October 23, 2009

The Insanity of Paying $25,000 for World Series Tickets? Priceless.

Have a spare $25,000 laying around?

If you do, and if you're interested in seeing Game 3 of the World Series in Philadelphia on Halloween, then a pair of tickets can be yours.

If your pockets aren't quite that deep, no worries. You can still see Game 3 for a mere $20,000. Problem is, you'll be standing the whole time. Those tickets are standing-room only, you see, whereas for just $5,000 more, you can get the $25,000 pair which comes with two actual seats.

What a bargain.

I can't make this stuff up, really. I guess the only good thing about this is as of this morning, nobody has actually purchased these tickets yet.

I'm hoping that it is a matter of what Peter Mucha wrote in his article in yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer: Must be some guy who told his wife, "OK, honey, I'll try to sell my tickets," but who really wants to go.

I hope so. Because you don't need me to tell you that we're in a recession and that $25,000 could certainly be spent more wisely. The thing is, you and I know there are people who would - who probably are - seriously considering shelling out $25,000 for this.

In a world where some people think it's a good idea to stage a hoax of your kid being in a balloon to increase one's chances of getting a reality show, it really would not surprise me if we're soon reading about a Parent of the Year who is, as I type this, withdrawing $25,000 from their kid's college fund (if the kid even has a college fund anymore) to buy World Series tickets for a Halloween night game.

Pretty scary indeed.

2 comments:

K a b l o o e y said...

I haven't heard back about my offer (assuming my Yanks finally finish off the Angels tomorrow, which is a big "if"), do you want to pretend we're the mayors of our cities and do a food bet? You lay down a cheesesteak made to my specs and I'll counter with bagels and lox (with Philly cream cheese? maybe pick the knishes or cheesesake options... whatever you like). We'll figure shipping out or wait until we meet someday. But still -- I think we should make the bet, then blog about it. And if we don't even make the series, then you can lord it over me and make fun of A-Rod. (Hell, you can do that anyway. Kate Hudson jokes, anyone?)

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Hey, Kablooey ... :) Didya see my comment back to you on this? I'm a bit more of a Yankees fan than might otherwise be evident ... will send you a note now.