Saturday, October 24, 2009

Read-a-Thon Update for Hour 9

Oh my, judging from the page totals I've seen while briefly Cheerleading, I have some serious catching up to do. I'm not even posting my page totals this go-around: it is embarrassing.

But I have a good excuse.

Betty and I went to the library and the grocery store this afternoon, as is our routine on Saturdays. In the children's section, I actually read an entire children's book (My Brother is Autistic) and the first 8 pages of Ten Things Your Child With Autism Wishes You Knew, which was on the shelf and is one of my Read-a-Thon books. So, I felt like I was still participating.

We weren't there long, though, because some toddlers were making a major ruckus with some of the toys. I have somewhat of a pet peeve with this. I don't necessarily mind toys like puppet theaters and stuff like that in libraries, but this plaything was ... well, I don't know what the hell it was, it just clearly was distracting. Betty has a low-tolerance to noise (gets that from me) and even she said something. I nearly said something to the librarian.

Of course, I brought home four more books:

Poems from the Women's Movement, edited by Honor Moore

The House on Tradd Street, by Karen White

Brooklyn, by Colm Toibin

The Girls from Ames, by Jeffrey Zaslow

And, after the grocery store where we stocked up on more snacks and dinner for this evening (Stouffers macaroni and cheese), it was off to the Starbucks drive-thru where I picked up two Pumpkin Spice Lattes. One for me, one for The Dean.

Going to try and get a 1/2 hour of reading in before dinner is ready.

Catch you later ... (oh, and thank you so much for the comments! I almost felt guilty coming home to 8 comments. You're the best cheerleaders EVER.)

8 comments:

softdrink said...

I like books
I like blogs
I hope you’re not reading
In a fog

The lattes sound delicious!!

Lenore said...

Library visits are always fun!

Trish said...

Let's go
Let's go, chip in, it's time to cheer,
It's simple, yell what you hear,
Go Reader Go,
Go Reader Go,
Fire up and scream,
Read
Read Read!

Go Melissa!

You know, I've learned NOT to dwell too much on other people's totals. It's all about having fun and doing what YOU can do. And YOU'RE doing GREAT! :D

Jen said...

Looks like you picked up some great books. And I think a visit to the library should count towards reading time as you probably read the descriptions or a few pages while selecting books, right? :)

Have fun and good luck with the rest of the read-a-thon!

Valerie said...

Looks like you've got some good books, there and it's nice you got your girls to participate, even for a short time! Hope you enjoy the rest of the readathon.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Me too on the low tolerance for noise.

And me too on the high tolerance for pumpkin spice lattes!

Hope the evening goes well!

Bybee said...

A trip to the library during the readathon sounds so refreshing!

Liyana said...

Books to the ceiling
Books to the sky
My piles of books are a mile high
How I love them
How I need them
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them
- Arnold Lobel


LiyanaLand!
http://liveandbreathesmexily.blogspot.com