Saturday, October 24, 2009

Read-a-Thon Update: Hour 14

My heart is saying to push on, keep going. But my head - my migrained, pulsating head - is singing a different tune.

It's saying, "Cheerlead for a little bit, then get thee into bed for perhaps a little more reading followed by a Be Kooooool migraine patch." (Love those things. They're not a cure, but they help me fall asleep in such instances and they do relieve the pain.)

I'm almost at 300 pages and a little more than 6 hours total of reading, which translates into 50 pages an hour. Meh. Just call this "Diary of a Wimpy Read-a-Thoner."

But, the truth is, I have a pretty long and busy day tomorrow. I'm headed back (for the first time in 5 or 6 years, I think) to the church where I grew up and where The Dean and I were married. Afterwards, my mother-in-law is throwing her annual Halloween party for the grandkids. (Lest you were wondering, the two occasions aren't connected. Just on the same day.)

It's the first time I've been a reader and I'm 300 pages further into my TBR stack than I was at 8 a.m. today. Plus I enjoyed some nice tea and reading with Betty, plus my Cheerleaders have been the best and have provided me with some new blogs to check out.

So, it's all good. It's really all what you make of it, isn't it? Like during the power outage tonight. After the initial tears and fears of being suddenly plunged into darkness, the kids rebounded quickly and soon we were laughing by candlelight at the kitchen table, telling spooky stories. (Boo said a sentence or two, then Betty, then me.)

It's like the Read-a-Thon itself. When you think of it, it's really amazing how we've been able to take something so sad as Dewey's passing and all that we lost, and turned it into something so fun, so positive, and that brings people around the world together. I didn't know her as well as others, but I'm betting that she would have loved seeing this (and especially how #readathon was trending on Twitter! We book bloggers have arrived!)

And, now that we have, I'll stop my punchy rambling and simply say: goodnight! (and thank you to all - organizers, cheerleaders, everyone! - for a really fun day!)

8 comments:

Trisha said...

Congrats on the 300 pages and Goodnight!!!

Infant Bibliophile said...

I've never heard of those patches - I'll have to check them out! I said I'd just cheer and host a mini challenge today because I have such a busy weekend, but the real reason I'm not squeezing in the reading too is because the last time I really dove into a book and read it in a weekend (Book Thief), I got the first migraine I've had in two years.. I hope you're able to sleep and you wake up feeling well. I thought it was wonderful that you included your daughter in the read-a-thon.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Congratulations on your accomplishments today! You deserve to rest up for Sunday - sounds like you have a very full day ahead!

Belle said...

You're doing a great job!

Liyana said...

Hello! You're doing great, keep up the good work! *cheers with pom poms*

LiyanaLand!
http://liveandbreathesmexily.blogspot.com

Eva said...

Enjoy your rest: you did great! :)

Nicole said...

You've done a great job!

Stephanie said...

As a fellow sufferer of migraines, I feel your pain! Seriously.

But it sounds like you did a fantastic job, for being a bit under the weather.

I'm here cheering into the wee hours. Hopefully, you will wake up and feel refreshed!