Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ready for the Read-a-Thon!

"There's only six more minutes till the Read-a-Thon! I got to get some books!" - Betty, age 7, running up the stairs to her room.

It's here! Betty is reading The Doll People by Ann M. Martin and Laura Godwin. ("There are 256 pages in this book!")

I'm on page 130 (out of 307) of An Egg on Three Sticks by Jackie Fischer. It's a YA novel, and I thought I would be finished by today, but alas, that was not the case. As much as I like the idea of starting the Read-a-Thon with a brand new book, I will start by finishing this one.

(A side note: If you're one of my friends or family who read this blog faithfully, you're probably sick of hearing about this Read-a-Thon (or anything related to books or reading) by now. Admit it, you are. I'm not offended by your honesty. Just skip the posts this weekend and come back tomorrow.)

After seeing me arrange and rearrange, photograph and re-photograph piles of books all week long, I think The Dean has concluded I have lost my mind. Maybe I have, but I don't care.

Here, then, is my final Read-a-Thon pile. (I feel like this photo should come with one of those warnings like on side mirrors of cars. OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR.)

It's a crappy photo, I know, so here is the list of what I'll be partaking in today, after I finish An Egg on Three Sticks.

Then it will be onto Parallel Play: Growing Up with Undiagnosed Aspergers, by Tim Page (197 pages). I went to renew this online at the library's website, and wouldn't you know, someone has requested it ... and it's due back today! To quote Homer Simpson ... doh! I really want to read this, so I've bumped it up higher on the pile.

After that, it's Do You Hear Me, Mr. Lincoln? by Judith Caseley, (256 pages) and Remember This by S.T. Underdahl, (288 pages). They're both YA, too. And due back at the library today.

An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green (227 pages) is next.

Yesterday I received The Best of Philadelphia Stories, volume 2 (161 pages) for review from the publisher, so it was quickly added to the pile.

MomsToWork.com invited me to submit a guest post/review of Will Work From Home: Earn the Cash - Without the Commute (245 pages). I heard Tory Johnson, the author, speak at the Pennsylvania Governor's Women's Conference last month and of course had to stop by the bookstore on the way out. I'm so excited about this (the book and the guest blogging at MomsToWork).

And rounding out the pile, I have:

A Mercy, by Toni Morrison (167 pages)
Anything But Typical, by Nora Raleigh Baskin (195 pages)
Because I Am Furniture, by Thalia Chaltas (352 pages)
Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew, by Ellen Notbohm (109 pages)
Laura Rider's Masterpiece, by Jane Hamilton (214 pages)
The School of Essential Ingredients, by Erica Bauermeister (240 pages)

So, if you'll excuse me, I have 2,828 pages calling my name. And we're off ...

6 comments:

Lenore said...

Hehehe! Arranging and photographing book piles is most of the fun. Best of luck today!

Louise said...

Hi there - good morning, afternoon or evening..??

My name is Louise and this is my first visit to your blog. I am already looking forward to visit again and check it out more :-)

I live in Denmark and have been up for hours, since I am nine hours ahead of Pacific Time and 5AM Pacific Time means 2PM in Copenhagen, Denmark.

I wish you much luck with your readathon. I have signed up this year for the first time, although I am not reading but cheerleading.

Those first hours I am going to orientate myself a bit, check out the blogs participating, hanging out on Twitter and so on. I might sneak in a bit of reading here and there, but my main thing is to cheer so GO! GO! GO!

softdrink said...

Traditional read-a-thon blessing:

May the bookshelf be there to greet you.
May all the books appeal.
May the fridge be full of tasty snacks;
the words fall soft upon your eyes and until the read-a-thon ends,
may you always hold a book in the palm of your hand.

Good luck today!

Kailana said...

That's a great pile of books!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Softdrink, I want that as my epitaph. Seriously. That's the best.

Lenore, thanks so much for stopping by!

Louise, welcome! Cheerleaders are so important to us readers - thank you so much, and I'm looking forward to reading your blog soon.

Kailana, thanks!

Liyana said...

Keep up the great work! :D


LiyanaLand!
http://liveandbreathesmexily.blogspot.com