Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Sunday Salon: My Week in Reading


Somehow, I pulled a muscle or two (again!) someplace in my right shoulder/neck/upper back area. I honestly believe it happened upon waking up yesterday. (That'll teach me not to live so dangerously.)This is, of course, all the justification I need to still be in my pajamas at 1:45 p.m. and to continue being a Sunday sofa slug.
I've been on a short story kick this week. Y'all know how much I love my short stories. Kim Edwards' The Secrets of a Fire King has been my audiobook this week. Alas, as much as I loved The Memory Keepers Daughter, this collection is falling a little flat with me. "Nondescript" is the adjective I keep coming back to with this one. Plus, the cover kind of creeps me out.

I'm also reading Joyce Carol Oates' Dear Husband, a collection of 14 stories. I've finished two of them, and really liked the second one, "Special." Believe it or not, this is the first book I've ever read of Joyce Carol Oates. (I know!) When I worked as a "page" at our local library, I had a co-worker who loved JCO, and it's a wonder I never read her then. Better late than never, I suppose.

Decided that Wonderful Town, a collection of stories from The New Yorker, will be going back to the library, today, sadly unread. It's due in two weeks with no more renews, same as Dear Husband (and several others) and I just don't see myself finishing an additional 400+ page book in that timeframe. There are some great authors in this one, though, so I'll check it out again soon.

This week, I finished The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (loved it and love him ... you can read my review here) as well as a YA novel, Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff. My review is done, but I'll probably save it for later this week or perhaps as fodder for during NaNoWriMo.
I will say this: Make Lemonade would be a great pick for the Read-a-Thon, in case you're looking for another book to add to your pile. (You know you want to add it ... go ahead. You have my permission to do so.)
Finally, can you believe it's almost the middle of October? Am I the only one who has thought about getting one's year-end bookish posts planned and in the works? (Didn't we just do this?) I feel like even suggesting such is like the stores with the holiday decorations out before Halloween, but I know how busy the fall and holiday season gets around here, so I'm considering getting them set up. Doesn't seem possible, does it?

May your day be filled with possibilities, reading and all!

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

I am a fan of JCO, but the one collection of her short stories I picked up (I Am No One YOu Know) was so intense I had to put it aside...and haven't gotten back to it. You've had a very good reading week!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

My Sunday has been kind of lazy, too, but I don't have an excuse!

I did post on some blogs, though, including my Sunday Salon, which is at http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com

And I reviewed "Twenties Girl" over at http://laurel-rain-snow.blogspot.com

I love Joyce Carol Oates, although you have to be in the mood for some of her stuff.

saveophelia said...

It's a shame the Kim Edwards book wasn't better. The cover is incredibly gorgeous!

Jodie said...

This is my first year blogging and I feel like I need to do an end of year post, but I ahve no idea how to pick my favourite books - there have been so many great reads this year.