Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Sunday Salon: On the Many "A-Thons" of Life

I'd hoped to be at Kristin's Krusade this morning, the annual 5K Run/Walk in memory of Kristin Mitchell, a victim of dating violence and who I was remembering earlier this week. It's the most spectacularly beautiful day weather-wise here for such an event - one that should never have needed to take place - but I'm sitting this one out due to waking up feeling slightly under the weather with a scratchy throat. Some tea is making me come around, though, so hopefully it's nothing more than our typical autumnal quirks of cold mornings and warm days.

So I have "a-thons" on my mind today, among them the upcoming 24 Hour Read-a-thon, a twice-a-year event that we book bloggers do in memory of our friend Dewey, still missed by many. I've signed up to be both a Reader and a Cheerleader. (You can sign up for either, or both, right here.)

I know it sounds daunting, but you certainly don't have to participate for the entire 24 hours. I had to work last April during the last Read-a-thon, but had a blast Cheering when I had time. This time, I want to try and do both. (I have that ridiculous TBR pile of library books, remember? Don't tell anyone, but I've added ... um, like 10 more since that photo was taken.)

And then I'm mentally gearing up for next month's NaNoWriMo, my first go at this. Any other Saloners participating this year?

This is the time of year, it seems, when the constant "a-thon" nature of life hits full force. Between work obligations for both The Dean and me, kids' schoolwork and activities, holidays and birthdays, it is undoubtedly the busiest time of the year for our family.

Which is why it becomes even more important, then, to remember to make time for whatever it is that helps us manage the busyness of the business of our lives, to downshift from the fast "a-thon" pace. For me, that's making time to write (even if it is being crazy enough to do NaNoWriMo and write a novel in a month!) and to read. This week, I finished the audio book of A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini well as The Pen/O. Henry Prize Stories 2009. (You can find my review of the latter here.)

For today's Salon, I'm hoping to spend some time engrossed in The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer. Damn, that guy can write. I loved The Story of a Marriage and am finding this one just as captivating. I cannot put this one down, even though it's contributing to my breathless feeling of late ...

... but, oh, in the very best sort of way.

10 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

MUST find out what you think of the Max T. Yes, he can write. But... the story.... I wondered about that.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Sorry about your throat! But it sounds like a good reading day! I'm still debating about doing the 24-hr readathon. ...

bermudaonion said...

Have fun with the read-a-thon. I just can't decide if it's for me or not.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Lovely weather is always welcome...and we have had that here today.

I posted my Sunday Salon over on my Accidental Life blog, at:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/

I've been reading at the Barnes & Noble cafe with my granddaughter...after we brought out some fall favorites to decorate the house.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Beth - I am captivated by this book. Can't get the line "be what they think you are" out of my head. I may be relating to it too closely as a special-needs mom ... I think the perspective of having a child who you want others to think of as different than who they really are is resonating with me with this one.

Rhapsody and Bermuda - if you're on the fence, consider Cheerleading. It's a lot of fun visiting all the book blogs.

Laurel-Rain - sounds like you're having the perfect fall day!

Florinda said...

I guess it is "a-thon" season, isn't it? We're doing the Alzheimer's Memory Walk in a couple of weeks...and for once, it's NOT the same weekend as the Read-a-thon, so I'm trying to decide whether I'll join that for the first time.

Maya Ganesan said...

Doing NaNo this year. *crossing fingers* I'm probably the slowest writer around when it comes to novels, but I'm gonna try. :)

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Maya, that's great that you're doing NaNoWriMo! I'll look for you and add you as a writing buddy ...

Lisa said...

I am hoping to do the Read a Thon, but haven't actually signed up yet. It's so hard with the boys- not so much the reading, but the day after about killed me in April.

Lisa said...

Oops, wanted to subscribe to comments!