Saturday, October 17, 2009

This Time, Next Week ...

Oh, I hear you laughing.

I do. And it's perfectly fine to do so, because the thought of my finishing this pile of books during next week's Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon is, I know, rather amusing. (Wondering what I'm talking about? Click here.)

It's amusing that I am even thinking about doing the Read-a-Thon to begin with. But I am - oh, yes, absolutely, along with 266 other bibliophiles. (You can sign up here to be #268.)

I also signed up to be a Cheerleader this time around, because I had so much fun doing so last April during my first Read-a-Thon. Although I had to work during part of it, I was glad to be part of it for a little bit. I'll have Betty and Boo responsibilities this go-around, and the possibility of working on the 25th will impact my reading, but no matter.

I wish today was the Read-a-Thon because with the second of nor'easter in three days blowing in, it's the perfect rain-soaked, gloomy day to do nothing but read. Here's what I'll be choosing from this time, next week. (Not necessarily in this order.)

Do You Hear Me, Mr. Lincoln? by Judith Caseley, (256 pages) (but it is a little book) (YA)

Remember This by S.T. Underdahl, (288 pages) (YA)

An Egg on Three Sticks, by Jackie Fischer (309 pages)

Falling Man, by Don DeLillo (246 pages)

An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green (227 pages)

A Mercy, by Toni Morrison (167 pages)

Anything But Typical, by Nora Raleigh Baskin (195 pages)

Because I Am Furniture, by Thalia Chaltas (352 pages)

Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew, by Ellen Notbohm (109 pages)

Laura Rider's Masterpiece, by Jane Hamilton (214 pages)

The School of Essential Ingredients, by Erica Bauermeister (240 pages)

Parallel Play: Growing Up with Undiagnosed Aspergers, by Tim Page (197 pages)

Whoa, I just did the math ... and that is exactly 2,800 pages even!

Have you read any of these? Thoughts? Any that should be substituted out? Which ones should I start with or make sure to try to get to?

13 comments:

Alexia561 said...

I haven't read any of these, but it looks like a good selection. Sure you don't want to throw any Dr Suess in there for a quick read? *L*

I like the idea of cheering the readers on, as I won't be able to participate. Have fun, and good luck at finishing all 2,800 pages!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Oh, I'm sure there will be a picture book or two that I will need to read to the kids. :) It will be a miracle if I get through 280 pages, much less 2,800.

Definitely be a Cheerleader. It's a lot of fun. (The only downside is that you might find a few more book blogs to add to your Google Reader.)

Trisha said...

This sounds like a wonderful list. I haven't read it yet but I have heard wonderful things about DeLillo. I hope you get to it and review it for purely selfish reasons. :)

Belle said...

I haven't read any of these, but have had my eye on An Abundance of Katherines and School of Essential Ingredients for a while now.

I'll be here cheering you on!

Book Dragon said...

Nice list - I was going to suggest some picture books too.

I've added a couple of books since you were by last - didn't even think to count pages!

Have a great week!

You were a cheerleader last time? That's great. I didn't even know about it until it was over.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

That's an ambitious pile, all right! Maybe next year I'll do this.

JoAnn said...

Now that's an ambitious stack! The School of Essential Ingredients will make a perfect read-a-thon book. Next weekend is Parent's Weekend at Daughter #1's college, so no read-a-thon for me. I'll have to wait until spring...

Dana said...

Wonderful list. Best of luck. I'm still getting my books together ;-)

Ronnica said...

I'm not familiar with those titles, but I'm enjoying reading everyone's lists. I'm going to be a cheerleader as well, because I know I won't be able to read during the game!

Cindy said...

Have fun!

reviewsbylola said...

I have An Abundance of Katherines in my read-a-thon pile as well!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Trisha - Sadly, "Falling Man" has gone by the wayside. I started it this week b/c it is due back to the library tomorrow and I needed a quick read pre-Read-a-Thon, but this was not it. Maybe another time ...

Belle - I think those two might wind up being priority reads on Sat.!

Book Dragon - I'll stop over and see your pile and will be cheering you on too!

Creations by LRS - it really is a lot of fun.

JoAnn - enjoy Parents Weekend!

Dana - I hear you; I'm making some revisions too.

Ronnica - thanks for being a Cheerleader; the readers really do appreciate it. I had a lot of fun with that last time around.

Cindy - thx!

reviewsbylola - seems like a popular book ... I'll be interested to see what you thought.

Jodie said...

Because I am Furniture is absolutely wonderful and quick enough (as its poetry) to be easily finished in a day.