Friday, October 23, 2009

Two Read-a-Thoners, Two Causes

Yesterday I Tweeted that Betty, one of my almost 8-year olds, is doing the Read-a-Thon with me.

How cool is that? She often refers to herself as a bookworm, so when I told her that bloggers (love that she knows what that is!) were going to be reading all day on Saturday, she said she wanted to join in ... as long as we can go to the library and "pick out lots of good books to read."

Sure, twist my arm.

I mentioned that some people are donating money for every book they read, and told Betty about one of the causes I was considering. Mrs. R. is a second grade teacher in a rural, impoverished Virginia community. She is also the twin sister of my dear blogger friend, Stephanie DiCerbo Baffone, who writes the wonderful blog Stephanie's Stories.

I first learned about Mrs. R.'s class when Steph linked to their project on DonorsChoose.org. Mrs. R. was seeking $480 to create a "cozy book nook" corner in her classroom. She needed pillows, cushions, carpeting, and a bookcase. Thanks to several folks who contributed the $480, Mrs. R.'s Cozy Book Nook is a reality. Still, I asked Steph if the class needed anything else, and as it turns out, they could use some new crayons, composition books, and glue sticks.

Consider it done. We will be sending them some, and for the Read-a-Thon, Betty and I will make a small donation to Mrs. R. to help purchase more when these run out, or to use for anything else her students might need.

The other charity I am reading for is NaNoWriMo. I'm participating in NaNoWriMo this year, and I love the idea of their Young Writers Program. According to their site, $25 pays for NaNoWriMo to adopt two classrooms taking part in the Young Writers Program, underwriting the costs of sending goodie-packed classroom kits that will inspire and encourage 70 budding authors. (You can read more about how to contribute to NaNoWriMo here.)

One little known fact about me is that I, um ... well, I actually wrote a novel. When I was 15. It sits in a desk drawer. It's not entirely out of the question that I'll revisit it someday. (Just not this year.) It was for a contest sponsored by Avon/Flare, and while the novel remains unpublished, I remember that feeling of dreaming and believing. If there's a small part I can play in helping others achieve the same, then I'm all for that.

I'm planning on donating .03 per page that I read, and am pledging a minimum of $25.

If you're reading for a charity, I'd love to hear about it and why you chose that cause.

2 comments:

Book Dragon said...

First off, I think it's wonderful that Betty will be reading with you and can't wait to see her list.

As for charities? hadn't thought of it. I like the idea of Mrs. R. Can I join you?

just a FYI, one of the tips was to turn off word verification, just for today. I don't have a problem with it, I just noticed it was mentioned.

JoAnn said...

I love that Betty is participating with you today..and that two wonderful causes are involved! We're off for Parent's Weekend - have a great day, and I sure hope to join you in April.