Friday, October 9, 2009

Wise Words

(photo above taken by me of a turtle during one of my and Betty's trips to the zoo,
June 14, 2009)


"So I was thinking," I said to Betty, as we were reading this evening.

"I heard about a contest where one of my stories, about my Daddy, could maybe be published in a book," I continued.

"Do you think I should send them a story?"

Betty looked at me, interested.

"Yes, you should," she nodded.

"Oh ..." I said, with a slightly exaggerated pensive tone, spotting a life lesson in the making. "I don't know about that. What if they don't like it?"

"You'll never know until you try, Mommy."

"But what if my story isn't any good?" I said, frowning.

"Then you just do your best and keep trying until it is."

5 comments:

saveophelia said...

That is absolutely adorable.

kristenspina said...

Listen to Betty. You never know until you try.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

So, was this a set up for Betty to come to the "keep trying" conclusion, or are considering submitting something for publication?! Go for it!

(and keep trying ... "if at first you don't succeed..." )

K a b l o o e y said...

Smart kid. And good lessons already implanted in her brain; way to go. Go for it re: story. And I read your post on "Strangling My Muse" so want to express sympathy (however many years belated) for loss of your dad. Mine too, long ago... but still. Daughters and dads.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Dawn - yes and yes. :)

Kablooey - we should chat ... my dad died suddenly 24 years ago. (I was 15.) There are some days when that seems like 24 years, others like 24 minutes.