Friday, November 6, 2009

Best of the Week

I've been collecting a bunch of interesting links over the past couple weeks that I just haven't shared. I think most of them are still timely. They are, in my humble opinion, all interesting.

Now we know the story about what Betty Draper was reading on that episode of Mad Men a few weeks back. (This is an old entry for Best Of, but given I'm all about all things Mad Men, it stays.)

I don't have a book club, but if I did, I would love to be part of this initiative with the book Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women ItalicWorldwide, as described on Britt Bravo's blog, Have Fun Do Good.

In another post on her wonderful blog, Britt writes about how the United States is one of two countries that has yet to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. Um ... maybe we need more time? Because it's only been 20 years (as of November 20) since this Convention. Twenty years! I'm as much of a procrastinator as anyone, but this is ridiculous. It's embarrassing that we haven't ratified this (and c'mon, the other country that hasn't done so is Somalia!)

The Daily Beast has an eye-opening blog post about how women in Afghanistan have started successful entrepreneurial ventures in the face of the troubles in that country. What should be a positive force is in danger of being lost by so many women because of threats and crimes against their families, their businesses, and their employees.

I have a love-hate relationship with Wal-Mart. The place is always jam-packed and I always say that going there is going to be the death of me. Well, if that occurs, The Dean can pick up a Wal-Mart casket for me along with groceries and underwear.

Regular readers know I have a horrendously long commute. Well, my woes are nuthin' compared to what some Philadelphia area commuters who depend on public transportation have had to contend with this week. For those not in the area, the union workers responsible for keeping a massive public transit fleet on the go decided to walk off the job and strike ... at 3 a.m. on Tuesday morning, stranding hundreds of thousands of people who would probably be thrilled to accept the offer of a guaranteed 11.5% pay increase spread out over the next 60 months. Columnist Ronnie Polaneczky's piece for the Philadelphia Daily News ("To SEPTA strikers: How dare you") nails the outrage that people are feeling over this.

With NaNoWriMo underway, this is a great post from Between Fact and Fiction (a new blog to me, thanks to Nathan Bransford's blog) with tips for writing a first draft.

And The Case Foundation has a mention of NaNo in this interesting post, What Happens When We All Become Writers?

Finally, if you're doing NaNoWriMo, you need to be reading Doyce Testerman. My newest favorite blog. Absolutely hilarious and brilliant.

And speaking of NaNoWriMo, I'm headed back to the world of the novel in progress ....

No comments: