Sunday, November 1, 2009

NaNoWriMo: Day 1


We leave the novel at the close of Day One with 5,009 words on the page. (Or, more accurately, on the hard drive.)

My goal was 5,000 words for today. (I've always been an overachiever.)

Not all days will be like this one, which is why I pushed myself. For starters, days with 25 hours in them come around once a year, so I wanted to take advantage of that.

In this NaNo month, there will come holidays and play performances, several days of migraines, and the heavy workload that belongs to the season. But today, today was a good writing day.

The story is still so very much in the embryonic stages. Since it's based on a real-life experience (write what you know!), most of the 16 pages I have thus far are snippets and snatches of conversation that I'm remembering from more than a decade gone by. But it's fun to watch the fictionalized part take shape - should I make him a restaurant reviewer or a chef? - while the hyper editor in me is cringing at scenes where the same character is referred to by two or three different names.

5,000 words down, only 45,000 to go.

(photo taken by me in June, 2009 at Chuck E Cheese, where Betty was attending a birthday party)

5 comments:

JoAnn said...

Great start...gotta take advantage of those good days!

Scobberlotcher said...

Wow, I'm impressed with your progress. You go! I'm only at about 2,000 words. I've had a happy 4 year old singing nearby, so that's limited progress. But then I thought, hey, I could transcribe everything she says in one day and be finished. :)

AmyLK said...

Great job! You're off to a good start and planning for the days when you can't get to the computer. Wonder if I could count everything I write for work? I'm a grant writer begging for money! But, then who isn't? lol

kristen spina said...

Hooray you!!! Can't wait to hear more.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Thank you so, so much for the encouragement and kind words! This is harder than it looks, and I appreciate every one of you more than you can possibly know.