Thursday, November 5, 2009

NaNoWriMo: Day 5, A Very Rough Excerpt

So ... um, if you're interested, here are the first 230 words of my NaNoWriMo novel. Right now I'm at 7,556 8,015 words, which is 25 pages. More on the process in another post. For now, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on what you think is happening in the story, if this piques your interest to read more, if you think this is artificial, unpasteurized crap ... whatever you feel compelled to say. Just try to be kind. I feel like I'm teetering on the NaNoWriMo edge as it is.

Working title is Love Spells Risk. Enjoy ... I hope.

“Anyone die today?”

No hello, no how ya doin’, how-was-the-drive up from Philly. Great, Maggie thought. It’s going to be that kind of weekend. Again.

“Damned if I know,” she replied, dropping her stuffed duffel bag inside the door.

Kissing her uncle on the cheek, Maggie softened. “I left at 8, so I didn’t get a chance to read the obits this morning. But the paper’s in the car. With a butter cake from Geiger’s.”

“I’ll get it,” he offered.

“No, no, no …stay,” she said, raising her hand as if commanding a puppy. “You need to save your energy.”

“At least let me put on another pot of coffee. I can still make a mean cup of coffee, you know.”

Watching him turn toward the kitchen, her smile morphed into a furrowed brow as she scrutinized his steps. Had his gait slowed since her last visit, or was she just imagining things? How many weeks had it been, anyway? Maggie did the mental math, ticking off the months on her fingers. April was her 26th birthday, May was that weekend at the shore – she didn’t want to think about that right now - and now June. Eight weeks.

It seemed longer than that since she’d been here, but it wasn’t. Maybe it was because when you’re in the world of the dying, eight weeks can seem like a lifetime.


copyright November 2009 MelissaF

11 comments:

evf said...

Wow. Love the opening. I have no idea what's going to happen, but interest piqued! :)

kristenspina said...

Wow! 7,500 words? Feels good, doesn't it?

JoAnn said...

I'd keep reading!

Scobberlotcher said...

Great job. Nice exchange of dialogue, too! Keep going!!

Florinda said...

I'm intrigued! I think you're off to a great start.

Infant Bibliophile said...

great start!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

You guys are the BEST ... thank you for the kind words and encouragement!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Lots of nice phrasing, Melissa! And WHAT HAPPENED that weekend at the shore?! (yes, of course I'd keep reading, this is definitely a tease!)

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Okay, you've got my attention! The images you've conjured up with just a few words...awesome!

K a b l o o e y said...

I'd keep reading. Nice use of dialogue. Great opening line.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Thank you all, so very much!!