Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Sunday Salon: On Being on the Other Side of the Page

So here's what I've learned after a week of NaNoWriMo-ing. (I'm at 11,133 words as of this morning and earlier this week I posted an excerpt, which you can read here, if so inclined.)

Being on the other side of the page is harder than it looks. Now, I didn't expect this to be a cakewalk, but because this story has been with me for several years, I thought the going would be a little smoother.

Um ... not so much. I'm kind of stuck right now, and need a shot of inspiration (maybe in the form of a Starbucks Eggnog Latte?) if I'm to reach the 15k wordcount that we're supposed to have as of end of the day tomorrow.

Since this is the Sunday Salon, I will say something about what I'm currently reading which is none other than the much-talked about, much praised The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I saw it at the library last weekend, just sitting on top of the shelf on display, and I grabbed it.

(I know what you're saying. What idiot starts The Hunger Games while in the middle of NaNoWriMo? That would be yours truly, right here.)

But it is worth because now, now I get it. I finally understand what you've all been talking about! And let me tell you, I was an adamant hold out that this was not going to be the book for me. This is so far removed from what I typically read - and yet, there are many elements that make it very much in keeping with what I typically read.

(Note to my friends, the Kasagrams: has The Boy read this series yet? If not, I am thinking about this for him as a Christmas present, as well as the second book, Catching Fire. Let me know.)

So maybe that's really what I've been learning in this week of NaNoWriMo. That it's OK to push yourself, to explore, to break out of your comfort zone and discover something new ... especially when you've had a preconceived notion of what that was all along.

8 comments:

Amy said...

You can do it! I tried NaNoWriMo a few years ago and basically thought I'll never be a writer. :)

Glad you're enjoying The Hunger Games!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

What a challenge! I should have done it, but no, I'm so sure that I'm not there yet!

When I was writing my first five books, I was chained to the computer. Now I am too, but I'm blogging.

Whatever...Good luck!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I forgot to mention that my Sunday Salon is here:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com

Florinda said...

As a long-time holdout on The Hunger Games myself, I know where you're coming from - but I read it (and Catching Fire) during the Readathon and I'm glad that I get it now too. I passed them along to my 15-year-old stepdaughter, who is also hooked now.

I hope you'll post another NaNoWriMo excerpt - I enjoyed your first one!

Brittanie said...

I checked out Hunger Games from the library too. I have not started it. It is def. outside my normal reading. :)

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

You are very brave to have posted an excerpt (I'll scroll down to read it!)

I'm finding NaNoWriMo to be quite a challenge, but I'm sticking with it. I'm following the advise of 'just write' don't edit, don't stop to think of the 'perfect' word or phrasing, just keep going!

I've been told that if we think writing is hard ... just wait until the editing process :)

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I too thought I would never enjoy Hunger Games until I actually read it. I guess the lesson, for me anyway, is that a zillion bloggers can't be wrong! :--)

Your word count is actually much better than some NaNo participants I've seen, so I think you should feel very proud and accomplished!

Scobberlotcher said...

Keeg going! You can do it. Even if you don't finish, you've started something most people only talk about but never begin.