Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Sunday Salon: On Good Friends and Good Books

Boo is in a children's theater production of "Beauty and the Beast" this weekend and next. For those familiar with the story, he plays Gaston, which is kind of comical because he is one of the smallest kids in the show. (Each cast member is under age 10.) He did two back-to-back shows yesterday and was wonderful (I may be slightly biased ... but trust me, he really was good!). It's just incredible to see how this group of kids has bonded together and how much they help each other when one of them forgets a line or if a scene goes somewhat differently than planned.

Because of the play, we have several visits with friends and family who are coming to see Boo in the play. Last night we had our closest friends who travelled two hours (each way!) for the play and then dinner back at our house. We don't see them nearly enough and when we do, it's always fun. I'm so grateful that they took so much time to come down to see Boo's play.

Meanwhile, I knew the second half of November would do a number on my NaNoWriMo word count, and indeed, I'm now 10,000 words behind where I should be. Not good. We'll see where this winds up. As my friend Stephanie said, I'm not sure why NaNoWriMo takes place during November. I can't be the only person whose life revs into high gear this time of year.

In the meantime, I'm still reading The Hunger Games. I've been exhausted at night, so as much as I want to, I can't stay awake for more than a few pages. I'm still enjoying this, very much so, and I think I'll be finished within the next day or two.

My audio book this week has been The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a Forty Year Friendship by Jeffrey Zaslow (co-author of The Last Lecture with Randy Pausch.) It's the story of a group of 11 girls who grew up together in Ames, Iowa and who remained close friends for 40 years. Each chapter focuses in on one of the girls, her family, and her connections with the others. This is a good audio, as this doesn't require much heavy thought. Instead, it serves to rekindle memories of one's one childhood friends and the good times with them.

Hope you're having some good times this weekend, with good friends, good books ... or, like me, with both.

8 comments:

Allison said...

I read THE HUNGER GAMES a few weeks ago and LOVED it. Drink some coffee and finish that sucker up! :)

dolcebellezza said...

It's true; why is NaNoWriMo in November of all months? I don't participate in it, but surely, March would seem a better time. ;) Thanks for visiting me today, it's nice to meet you. I'm glad Boo's play was successful, too.

Scobberlotcher said...

You aren't the only one who finds November a strange choice for National Novel Month. :0 Keep at it and have a great week.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

These sound like good books...Actually, I've read "The Girls from Ames," but wasn't crazy about it. Maybe it would be better in audio!

My Sunday Salon is here"

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2009/11/sunday-salon_15.html

rhapsodyinbooks said...

The Beauty and the Beast production sounds adorable. I think you're right about NaNo. It is probably the worse possible month (with the exception of December)!

JoAnn said...

Sounds like a very full weekend - I love Beauty and the Beast! College basketball occupied our day. It was our oldest daughter's season opener, so we drove out for the game...not much reading time though.

K a b l o o e y said...

Go, Boo! He must be very proud of himself, and with reason. The Girls from Ames looked a little sappy for me, but I'll wait on your final word. I just bought Barbara Kingsolver's new one, but I have a bit of a book pile-up to get through first. And I can't wait to get Mary Karr's new one.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Kablooey, there is definitely a generous amount of sap in "The Girls from Ames." Normally, this would not be the book for me ... but for some reason, I seem to need something a little lighter, that doesn't require me to think so much. It's a good for that. Substantively ... hmmm, maybe not so much.

JoAnn - hope your daughter won her game!

rhapsody - it is a very cute show.

Creations - the audio is just OK for this one, IMHO. As I said to Kablooey, I think I just need something on the lighter side of life right now.

Scobberlotcher - thanks for the encouragement, and I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this is an odd time of year.

dolcebellezza - thank you!

Allison - just finished it tonight! A good read!