Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Fall Into Reading Challenge - The Official Wrap Up Post

Remember September? Seems like it was light years ago now, doesn't it? Now that we're officially into winter, the Fall Into Reading Challenge is over and it's time to wrap this one up.

All in all, I did much better than I thought. I had 17 books on my list I'd hoped to read during these three months and I read a total of 14. Not too shabby, especially when you consider that I was also NaNoWriMo-ing in November. (Not like I finished that, but still ....)

Without further ado (because I know you're just waiting with bated breath to see what I read), here's how my Fall Into Reading Challenge broke down:

Books Completed That Were on My Original Fall Into Reading List (links take you to my reviews):

1. A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini (audio)
2. The Pen/O.Henry Prize Stories
3. The Confessions of Max Tivoli, by Andrew Sean Greer
4. Linda McCartney: A Portrait, by Danny Fields (audio)
5. The School of Essential Ingredients, by Erica Bauermeister

On My Original Fall Into Reading List, Started, but Alas ... Abandoned:

Secrets of a Fire King (stories) (audio), by Kim Edwards
Dear Husband (stories), by Joyce Carol Oates
Falling Man, by Don DeLillo
Paper Towns, by John Green

So Instead, I Read These:
6. Make Lemonade - by Virginia Euwer Wolff
7. The Life You Longed For - by Maribeth Fischer
8. An Egg on Three Sticks - by Jackie Moyer Fischer
9. Parallel Play: Growing Up with Undiagnosed Asperger's, by Tim Page
10. The Best of Philadelphia Stories, vol. 2
11.The Hunger Games - by Suzanne Collins
12. Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street, by Michael Davis
13. Because I Am Furniture - by Thalia Chaltras
14. The Curse of the Good Girl - by Rachel Simmons (also read for Women Unbound).

Katrina over at Callapidder Days, and host of this challenge, posed some questions.

1. What was your favorite book that you read this fall? Least favorite? Why?
That's hard to answer, because there were so many. I especially liked A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Confessions of Max Tivoli, and The School of Essential Ingredients. I also really liked each one on the "So Instead, I Read These" list.

Least favorite was probably The PEN/O.Henry Prize Stories. I love short stories and was looking forward to reading this collection, but only a few stories grabbed my attention.

2. Did you discover a new author or genre this fall? Did you love them? Not love them?
Every author that I read - with the exception of Andrew Sean Greer - was new to me. And even he could be considered new, as I just discovered him this year after reading A Story of a Marriage.

I also read 4 young adult novels this fall, and I'll admit I rather enjoyed them. I was a YA snob not all that long ago; I refused to read any YA because I thought I'd outgrown such fare. Not so. Not even close.

3. Did you learn something new because of Fall Into Reading 2009 – something about reading, about yourself, or about a topic you read about?
It's a cliche, but I learned not to judge a book by its cover (The Hunger Games) and assume by such that it isn't for me. I also learned (also in connection with The Hunger Games) that it's OK to jump on the bandwagon when everyone is raving about a book ... a million book bloggers can't be wrong!

Thanks so much, Katrina, for hosting such a fun challenge and allowing me to play along!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Melissa-
Ok, so you have thrown down the gauntlet in my book (no pun intended) :-)
I have some reading to do! I haven't read nearly as many books but of the ones I've curled up and gotten lost in this past year & really enjoyed, my favorite so far was Seeking Peace by Mary Pipher. Fabulous read. So much of her story I could relate to.
Much love to you and your family, Melissa this holiday season and all through next year.
xo

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

It's funny ... this year, I read more books than I ever have in my adult life. I think it will come in at 55!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season too, Stephanie! I'm so glad to have "met" you this year ... hopefully we'll meet in person in 2010!