Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Few Books Under the Tree

These are just some of the new books that were given and received for Christmas. (A few others have become scattered around the house, taken upstairs to read, etc. and I was too lazy to round them up for a photo op.)

Santa was very into book-giving this year. (Perhaps he reads this blog.) For Betty and Boo, he had these in his sack:

Several of the My Weird School books by Dan Gutman (they are very into this series, and they are among the ones upstairs right now)

Several of the books from Francesca Simon's Horrid Henry series, including
Horrid Henry's Christmas
Horrid Henry's Underpants
Horrid Henry and the Mega Mean Time Machine
Horrid Henry and the Mummy's Curse
Horrid Henry and the Stinkbomb

Two Roald Dahl books - Fantastic Mr. Fox and The BFG (Betty's class just finished reading The BFG, and she was thrilled to get her own copy.)

Santa also brought Taylor Swift: Love Story for Betty, and for Boo, a book about Duke Ellington with 21 different activities to do.

A few days ago, packages arrived from my aunt and uncle - Betty got a booklight and Meet Julie (one of the newest American Girls ... from 1974! I remember 1974, so I have a little bit of hard time accepting this particular year as historical.) For Boo, If I Only Had a Horn: Young Louis Armstrong and a booklight.

From my in-laws, I got Stephanie O'Dea's Make It Fast, Cook It Slow (based on her wonderful blog). I also gave this one to my mom (and made two recipes out of it before it was wrapped).

The Dean got Paul McCartney: A Life from his parents.

And rounding the pile out, more books from my mom. For the kids:
The Tallest of Smalls, by Max Lucado
Henry and the Paper Route, by Beverly Cleary
Socks, by Beverly Cleary
The Report Card
You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown! by Paula Danzinger

And for me, a book of short stories (Ford County, by John Grisham) and two more cookbooks, The White House Cookbook (which is really neat ... it's a re-issue of the 1894 edition of the White House cookbook from Grover Cleveland's time in the White House), and Vegetarian, which has some gorgeous photos.

8 comments:

Alexia561 said...

Wow, you guys had a lot of books under your Christmas tree! Love giving and getting books as presents!

Are you kidding about an American Girl doll from 1974? I was alive, so no way can it be historical! *gasp* Must write the company and protest them turning my youth into ancient history! *L*

Enjoy all of your lovely books!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

I know ... when I first heard of the American Girl doll from 1974, I thought the same thing. Now, I was in nursery school in 1974, but still ... any year that I can remember does not qualify as historical in my book. (heh, pun intended).

Infant Bibliophile said...

I love Make It Fast, Cook it Slow! The recipes are delicious (haven't had anything come out bad yet and I've tried a bunch!), but more than anything, it just got me braver about experimenting with the slow cooker. I'd give up my microwave before my slow cooker now!

JoAnn said...

That's a lot of books under the tree! I just took a picture of mine (which I'll post later), but it would have been more fun to show my husband's and duaghters' book, too!

American Girl doll from 1974??? No way is that 'historical' - lol!! I'm sure my sister Julie agrees, too.

Scobberlotcher said...

I like that Santa loves books so much! You have a lot of nice reads there. Happy Sunday!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, those are my favorite kinds of gifts! What a fabulous collection.

I blogged a little about Christmas at my Accidental Life blog, and also did a Sunday Salon post today there:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2009/12/sunday-salon_27.html

Frances said...

Awesome books! Can't ever go wrong with Roald Dahl, and I am a recent convert to Horrid Henry. Kids love to see all the stuff he pulls!

1974 as part of history? God, I am getting old!

Glad the holidays were special for you and yours. Now take some time to relax and read those books. Hpapy reading!

Jodie said...

Aww Fantastic Mr Fox is wonderful and I must have read The BFG about a million times when I was younger. I recommend Matilda as well if she hasn't already read it, lots there for a young reader.