Monday, December 21, 2009

Hibernatin' Away Another Vacation Day


This would be my front walkway, with a mere 21" of snow barricading us in the house for the third consecutive day (going on four).

And this would be my son, who thought it would be great fun to swim in the snow. After all, it is water and thus, should be possible, right?

And this would also be not too far off from what my driveway still looks like, as Day 3 of this storm continues to hold its grip on us. Our snow plow guy is clearly not coming anytime this year. (As of 10 a.m., he was "working his way down south" of our state. It's now 12 hours later. State ain't that big, folks.)

We also don't have the types of neighbors who are of the inclination to help dig a fellow human out. That was obvious this morning, when the owner of the SUV in the photo watched The Dean spin his tires while trying to no avail to get down the driveway.

(This would be the same individual who, you may recall, I was interviewed about by the FBI . Believe you me, I'll be remembering this next time the Feds come knockin'. "Yes, sir, I can tell you he's very much the type of individual who stares at a neighbor with three herniated disks as he tries to get his car out of the driveway.")

So, we're in hibernation and vacation mode here. That includes the kids, who had an early start to their winter vacation. School was closed today and will be closed tomorrow because our secondary roads reportedly resemble my driveway.

I'm not the only one inconvenienced by the blizzard. I've heard that Santa's a bit stressed, too, and if there's anything the Big Guy doesn't need with two days before Christmas, it's additional stress. He's hoping for one hell of a miracle in the form of UPS and extended shipping deadlines, because otherwise, it's truly going to be The Year Without a Santa Claus. 'Nuff said about that.

In the meantime, I'm spending my Hibernatin' Vacation with a good book (I'll probably finish Lark & Termite sometime tomorrow), doing some digital scrapbooking (all of December completed today - 10 pages!), and oh yes, celebrating the solstice and its very welcome longer days.

3 comments:

Jodie said...

That picture of your son looks like a baby seal :)

Abigail said...

Its funny. I almost envy you. Makes Christmas pretty simple! :)

I hope it doesn't stress you out too much.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Yes, I thought about a baby seal, too!

Those of us who do not have snowy days often think they're romantic! I'm sure you're saying "NOT!"