Monday, December 7, 2009

Some of My Favorite Things

Over the weekend we put up our Christmas tree and started decking the halls. Most of the ornaments on our tree are personal ones, so I thought it might be fun to share some of my favorites and the stories behind them.

If I had to choose a favorite ornament (which it is impossible to do), this one would be a strong contender. I just love this little reading elf, don't you? I got this as a little girl from my parents. I can't remember how old I was. It's been on the tree every year since, so it seems like I've had it forever.

And then there is this house ornament ...














The little house has been with us since 1994, the year that The Dean and I bought our first home. I wrote our address on the side of the ornament so I would remember what house it would represent. (As it turns out, it looks more like our second house than our first ... or the no frills, one bedroom apartment that we left in order to buy the house.)

One of The Dean's nicknames for Betty is "pickle", so when I saw this ornament at a craft fair a few years ago, I had to get it as a symbol of this childhood name for her.

It is supposed to symbolize the German legend of placing a glass pickle ornament on the tree. Upon waking on Christmas morning, the child who discovers the pickle gets an extra treat or gift from St. Nicholas ... and/or is blessed with good luck throughout the year.

My family is of German ancestry and I never heard of this before. (And if there extra gifts involved, believe you me, my grandmother the shopaholic would have been all over that.) Whether it's true or not, I like the pickle ornament on the tree as a symbol of my heritage past and present (of Betty's nickname). And anything that could help with good luck throughout the year is always welcome.

I'll add more ornament stories to the blog over the next several days.

7 comments:

kristenspina said...

We've got a pickle too!! Merry Christmas!

Niksmom said...

This makes me smile as I remember my own ornaments and their stories. I think "designer" style trees are pretty but they have no personality, no history. I'm all about those things! :-)

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I love these ornaments and the sentiments behind each one!

I do that, too...associate special ornaments with special times and places.

Cindy said...

I love your post. I know every year I always buy a new ornament for the family. When my son is old enough he will have enough ornaments to decorate his tree. I always try to find that one special ornament.

I have heard of the pickle story. Just don't tell the kids that LOL

Looking forward to reading more of your ornament stories.

JoAnn said...

I love the little reading elf! So many of our ornaments have stories behind them, too. Thanks for sharing a few of yours.

DemMom said...

I love this idea... can I steal it and do some of our ornaments. One of the few things I'm sentimental about. We have the same pickle!

Jessica said...

We have that same pickle too! My German-ancestry family had never heard of the legend either. I was very disappointed about that, but I kept the pickle anyway, in honor of my grandmother, who used to make her own pickles out of cucumbers she grew herself in the backyard.