Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Sunday Salon: On Christmas Week Reading and The Memorable Memoir Challenge

This was a reading week unlike any other (and a reading year unlike any other, too).

Even with Christmas in the mix, I started and finished two books this week. That doesn't happen, except maybe during our week's vacation at the shore.

No, this week I had 21" of snow to thank (or curse), in a state that just spent all of its snow removal budget (and then some) on this one storm. Plowing streets became a luxury, necessitating the closure of schools for two straight days. The kids and I did not leave the house for five days. Thank God for Internet access, blogs and books. (And online shopping, and Express Shipping.) And the downpour that visited us on Christmas Day night into Saturday, washing the snow away.

Hence, the banner reading week.

I read and reviewed Lark & Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips, as well as Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (review here). Both are very well done, with the latter being among my Best Books of 2009.

I had been listening to The Lace Reader in the car, but as it progressed, I got more and more confused. Between the unreliable narrator, the switches in point of view, the many characters, the convoluted family tree ... this one just wasn't working for me. I got the print version from the library, which didn't help. Maybe there's something about this that I am missing, because I know the majority of folks loved this one - and I really wanted to. Instead, I wound up abandoning it around page 200, which is a little more than halfway through. By then I felt somewhat invested in it, but confusion got the better of me.

Now I'm onto Brooklyn, by Colm Toibin, which will probably be my last novel for 2009. Depending on when I finish this, there might be a book of poetry to end the year with. (I'm a little nuts that I cannot end the year in the middle of a book.) I'd also like to have all my reviews posted for 2009 by the time the clock strikes midnight, but I'm not sure that will happen. I'm going to try, though. But I am thrilled with finishing 56 books in 2009, which is the most I've ever read as an adult. Book blogging has definitely increased the number of books I read, and I couldn't be happier.

And finally, I've decided to try hosting a Reading Challenge! I just announced The Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge for 2010, and I'd love for you to consider joining. All the details are here, with more to come. I've signed up for 12 challenges this year, and this will be lucky 13 for me.

It's been a very good year on the blogging and reading front. Here's to a memorable year in 2010!

1 comment:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow, what a great week! Surprisingly, I had a good one, too, despite the holidays.

My post:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2009/12/sunday-salon_27.html