Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Snowbound

Now this is the proper way of doing a snowstorm.

If one is to get 21" of snow - which is what our ruler says is piled up outside our door - then 'tis best to get it on a weekend when you don't have anyplace to be and a pile of books just waiting to be read.

We were slammed by the nor'easter of a blizzard that pounded the East Coast this weekend, and we've already gotten The Call that the kids' schools will be closed tomorrow.

Suffice it to say that I have not moved much from the sofa this weekend, nor do I plan to for the rest of today or tomorrow. Being snowbound for these couple days is a gift, believe me.

Yesterday I finished The Curse of the Good Girl and found it to be very well done and informative. I'd definitely recommend this for all women, and especially for those who have daughters. I read this as my first book for the Women Unbound challenge.

Now I've moved onto Jayne Anne Phillips' Lark and Termite, which is due back to the library on Saturday. I'm too early into it to have many thoughts thus far, except that I am loving the fact that there's a little Philly element to this! I didn't know that when I picked it up, so that was a nice treat.

I've also been catching up on my blog reading, writing year end posts, and making challenge lists. That's probably the only downside of the snowstorm. Because I'm catching up on my blog reading, I'm finding all kinds of reading challenges to participate in. (Not to mention, my Google Reader is exploding because I keep finding new blogs to read!) I'm currently up to 11. Eleven challenges ... that's absurd. A year ago I eschewed the thought of challenges; now, there's a good chance that I'll have an even dozen by the time today is over.

As of this writing, I'm participating in Women Unbound, Shelf Discovery, Unlock Worlds, Colorful Reading, 100 Shots of Short, the Support Your Library Challenge, Essay Reading Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge, Woolf in Winter, The Debutante Ball, and The Beth Kephart Reading Challenge.

Now, will someone come and plow my driveway before I sign up for another reading challenge or add another blog to my reader?! :)

1 comment:

Book Dragon said...

I'm glad you're safe and warm.

repeat after me....challenges are good...challenges are fun...challenges offer up new reading worlds.... ;D

eleven? twelve? I'm heading toward 25 plus hosting/co-hosting SIX for 2010.

Wait, you have kids - eleven is GREAT! We overlap one so I'll see you there