Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tale of Two Classroom Holiday Parties

Memo from Betty's teacher:

Dear Parents and Guardians,

We will be having our Holiday Party on Tuesday, December 22 at 2:30. We are planning a pizza party, please send in $1 to cover the pizza. If you are interested in donating another item to our party then please return the bottom with your name on it. We will send it back to you with an item that we need. We hope you have a safe and happy winter break! - Mrs. R. and Mrs. H.

... compared to THIS from Boo's teacher:

Holiday Class Party
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
The following names are the next five students, alphabetically, in our room to share the responsibility of planning our holiday party. (You will not be asked to assist again until the end of the year party.) If you could please coordinate from the healthy food list and drinks, etc. for the students with the parents listed below it would be greatly appreciated by the students.

Please keep it simple and remember we have a PEANUT ALLERGY student in our classroom. Students seem to want more to drink than anything else. If you are feeling creative, then by all means plan holiday activities for us to do, just be sure to let me know so I can schedule time for it.

According to the new district policy, only food and drinks on the district list of acceptable healthy snacks will be allowed in the school. Please abide by the list. Thank you.

I am hoping to have it around 2:00 but this may need to change if there is a school-wide activity planned. Thank you in advance for all your time and effort.

And then there is a list of five students, including Boo, with phone numbers for each kid. Oh, and one of the students on, ahem, Boo's little holiday party planning committee happens to be none other than E., who you will recall is the same E. who Boo just wrote the letter to informing him he was only his friend at recess and during related arts. This would be because Boo is less than thrilled that E. has a girlfriend. Mind you, these children are 8 years old and in the 2nd grade.

(To make matters even more triangulated, we had another episode between E. and Boo last week. Seems that Boo was teasing E. for having a girlfriend, and E. punched Boo in the stomach. The assistant principal called me at work to inform me of such, and said that E. had been "disciplined according to the Code of Conduct.")

So, as one can imagine, I don't think a phone call to E.'s mom would be very pleasant - for either of us. Plus, there's the small matter that I don't do phone calls - much less to coordinate among five parents who I don't even know. I guess someone should mention the newfangled invention called email, which could simply things.

I sent Boo's teacher an email saying that we would be happy to provide a snack, some printable activities (like a word search), and a small gift (like a pencil) for the kids. That's it. Betty's teacher will be getting $1 for the pizza and probably something else. Why on earth Boo's teacher needs to make things so freakin' complicated, I don't know.

Bah humbug.

7 comments:

Book Dragon said...

lol bah Humbug indeed. It was so much easier when my kids were in school, I feel positively ancient!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

These teachers are doing a good job of aging me, that's for damn sure.

DemMom said...

LOL! I'm wondering when the school is going to pick up on the fancy new invention called email too! That is way complicated. I received a paper (mind you, not an email) that says "Will you send one pack of cubed cheese for Friday's party?" Then a "Check Yes or No" box. Maybe it's the difference between kindergarten and 2nd grade.

K a b l o o e y said...

You're supposed to plan the activities? Wha? Good for you for having some perspective and not caving. $1 for pizza is pretty darn good deal, too, btw.

Melissa said...

LOL! Oh . . . you gotta love it. NOT!

I'm glad my three all have teachers who prefer to keep things simple. My close friend with kindergarten twins has teachers at opposite ends of the personality spectrum, like you. I'm constantly hearing about things like this from her.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

OMG! Just reading that "note" gets my ire up! It brings back memories of all those teachers that I'd stuffed into the back of my mind as "more annoying than almost anything."

Glad to see that you're responding in a proactive manner. That teacher sounds too arrogant for words!

Susan said...

Isn't it amazing how complicated that we can make things! One year I got called to bring in snacks for either the next day or the following day. I'm thinking, I'm not even going to the grocery store between now and then. I felt kinda bad, but decided to say no. It is really interesting how you have two same age kids in the same school and how different things can be. Good luck to you in surviving the madness!