Saturday, January 23, 2010

All Politics Is Local

This afternoon, Betty and I took a little drive up to Longwood Gardens, a spectacular oasis of acres of gardens and foliage. (Even in the winter months, it still draws thousands because of its conservatory and holiday show.)

I've lived within an hour of this paradise for most of my life and until today, had never set foot on the grounds. So, prompted by a children's event happening there and my desire for fresh air and activity, we went.

En route, I mentioned to Betty that we were in the hometown of Vice President Joe Biden, and I pointed his street out to her.

"I don't think he got very many votes," she said.

Slightly confused - and curious - I asked her, "What makes you think that?"

"Because he has seven houses."

Laughing, I corrected her. "No, sweetie, that would be John McCain."

This recollection comes from a onetime dinner conversation we had in August 2008 at our house.(Our one and only house.) Seriously, how proud of a mama am I that my 8 year old remembers a campaign issue from nearly a year and a half ago?


(photos are of a version of Monopoly that we have - America Has Voted! - it says, and which were taken one rainy night as we played this during our beach vacation last year. Aunt E., if you're reading, look closely at the top photo and see that your tablecloth has made it onto the blog.)

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Mel @ A Box of Chocolates said...

I have never been to Longwood Gardens either. I think I will try to make it this spring. I heard that it is beautiful for Christmas too. Glad you had a nice day together and yes, it is great when they remember conversations you had.