Friday, January 8, 2010

Bloggiesta!

It's Bloggiesta time again! (Wondering what in the hola I'm talking about now? Natasha, our Bloggiesta hostess with the mostest, has all the details over at her blog, Maw Books.)

In short, it’s a blogging marathon. A opportunity to cross those nagging items off of your to-do list and improve your blog while in the good company of other awesome bloggers doing the same thing. I participated in the first one last time; it was lots of fun, educational, and productive.

Actually, it's been Bloggiesta time for nearly the past 12 hours but in my typically late fashion, I'm just arriving to the par-tay now. Some pays-the-bills real work had me on the computer all day writing and creating the latest e-newsletter for the nonprofit I work for, so I'm not sure how much Bloggiesta-ing I've got in me for tonight's fiesta. Fortunately, it is a tres day thing, so I'm planning to devote more time tomorrow and Sunday.

And what, exactly, will I be doing during my Bloggiesta-ing? Here's what I'm hoping to accomplish:

1. Deal with my blogroll. It's a mess, I know. Has been for quite some time. If I do nothing else, I want to straighten that up - and that means deleting blogs that haven't posted recently, eliminating the duplicate blogs, and consolidating them into one list.

(I thought about eliminating the blogroll altogether, but I've found so many of my favorite blogs through others' blogrolls that I want to give others the same experience. It's my way of giving back, you see. Like a good deed. So, the blogroll will stay ... but cleaned up.)


UPDATED 1/9/2010: Interested in how this one worked out? This post, my first Bloggiesta update, has the scoop.

2. Since I'm participating in 12 reading challenges, I want to set up some challenge posts to keep track of the books I'll hopefully have read to complete them. DONE!

3. Write reviews. I still have some from last year. If I only get two done, I'd like them to be for This Lovely Life by Vicki Forman and The Best of Philadelphia Stories, vol. 2. Those people were so kind to send me the book and I've been neglectful in writing my thoughts, and I feel bad about that.

4. Write backup posts for a rainy day. One can never have too many of those.

5. Write that great post idea from three months back. I must have, no lie, about 100 posts languishing away in Drafts ... some with one sentence written, some waiting for one sentence to complete it. Since I know you're just breathless at the thought of this brilliance being trapped, I'd like to try and set them free.

6. Create template posts for your future reads (ie: title, images, linking, tags, etc,) so you can open up, write review and post without being bogged down with technicalities. Yes, similar to what I wrote about setting up the challenge posts.

7. Add Challenges to sidebar, with their buttons.

8. Clean up tags.

9. Clean out and organize your feed reader and blog subscriptions.

10. Add "books to read" to Shelfari. When I read a review of a book that captures my interest, I tag it in Google Reader with "books to read." And there they sit. I need to move them over to my shelf on Shelfari, which is where I track my books I plan to read. (All 2,000+ of 'em or so.)

11. While I'm doing that, I need to update Shelfari with my reviews from the blog. I look at it as a way of promoting The Betty and Boo Chronicles on there.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll think of some more.

Now, where'd I leave my margarita?

Happy Bloggiesta-ing, everyone!

4 comments:

Monica said...

Great List! Good Luck!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

So glad that I'm not the only one with 100 posts in draft!! Good luck with the Bloggiesta! You have a great list.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Have fun - happy blogging!

Mama Librarian said...

Excellent, thorough to-do list. I'm curious about Shelfari -- think I'll go check that out! My current to-read list is in a sticky... er, a few stickies... and that seems to work for me, but maybe Shelfari would be better? Is it like Librarything?