Saturday, January 30, 2010

Caught Between the Moon and New York City

"If you get caught between the Moon and New York City
The best that you can do ...the best that you can do
Is fall in love ..."
"Arthur's Theme" ~ Christopher Cross

I'm feeling kind of giddy here in these wee small hours of the morning, under what is supposedly the biggest and brightest full moon of all 2010. (Truth be told, last I looked it seemed a little fuzzy.)

You see, the giddiness is because I just signed up for BEA. I'm kinda feeling like I've arrived here in this book blogging world. Like I'm being invited to play with the cool kids.

Speaking of which, I plan to sign up for this tomorrow, or pretty soon thereafter, once I crunch a few numbers and see what's what in the bank account.

I'm not sure what has come over me. I don't know New York City (and I'm kind of missing my uncle a bit tonight, for he certainly did). I haven't been there since I was in college when a friend and I hit the town for a day, I haven't firmed up hotel or other logistics other than the possibility of taking Amtrak (we're a do-able 2 hour or so train ride away).

My plans are as nebulous as that moon outside. I have no idea what I'm doing. Part of me thinks the other part of me is nuts. (I'm sure my mother, reading this, is thinking similarly.)

But ... I'm being pulled to go to the city that (like me) never sleeps.

Tonight, I'll blame it on the moon.


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

7 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Ooh, just thinking about that tune gives me the chills!

I first saw that movie in Boston, of all places...the closest I've come to New York City!

And I was in love!

So that's what I think about when I hear that song.

As for BEA, that sounds fabulous. Congratulations!

I went to BEA in 2008, when it was in LA.

Overwhelmingly fabulous, sending chills down my spine!

I know...over the top dramatic!

Hope you'll enjoy it.

Trisha said...

How exciting! I feel the same way about the BEA and blogger con - like accidentally getting invited to a senior party when you are only a freshman and hoping you don't spend the whole time hiding in the bathroom...

There's a Fairfield by Marriot less than a mile from the Javits that is pretty cheap if you are looking for a place to stay.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Laurel ~ Would love to hear about BEA from someone who has actually been there. I'm guessing it was in connection with one of your books?

Trisha ~ I was so thrilled to see your name on the attendee list (and that list is a dangerous thing, because I've now added more blogs to my Reader ;) I will look into the Fairfield - thanks! Are you staying there?

Trisha said...

I am staying at the Fairfield. The price was one of the lowest, it provides breakfast, and it's .6 miles from the center so I don't have to pay for transportation!

Florinda said...

I'm really starting to think I signed up for the wrong conference...so many of the people I want to meet are going to be at BEA and BookBloggerCon, and I can't do that AND BlogHer'10 (which I committed to months ago), so I'm bumming about what I'll be missing! But enough of my whining :-) - glad you'll be going, and I'm sure you'll enjoy both BEA and the Con!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Any chance of selling your BlogHer ticket? I am still contemplating coming to BlogHer, but it might be a little more difficult now with BEA and Book Blogger Con. (I would seriously consider coming up to NYC for a day of BlogHer, just to meet YOU. :)

Cindy said...

Melissa I am so happy to hear that you are coming to NY and BEA... I am staying at Hampton Inn's Madison Square Gardens. They have a hot and cold breakfast so that was the seller for me and we are 9 from the center.

We so have to make a plan to meet up at some point as I won't be able to attend the Friday event because I have to head home.