Thursday, January 21, 2010

In This Case, TSA Stands for Totally Stupid Asshole

Can someone tell me exactly what the fuck is going on with the TSA? I mean, seriously, are there any grown-ups working at that agency?

As if it wasn't bad enough that grandmas and military personnel and 8 year olds are subject to "secondary screening," now we have TSA agents who apparently get their jollies by playing practical jokes on unsuspecting passengers, like what transpired with 22 year old Rebecca Solomon on a recent flight home from Philadelphia.

I'd explain what has me so riled up, but this column by Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Daniel Rubin explains things quite well. Go ahead and read it. I'll wait.

You're done? Am I wrong or is that unfuckingbelievable? God knows you can't legislate common sense, but thankfully, Ms. Solomon's father is in a position to try. He's a legislator, and I hope he helps his daughter sue the pants off this guy, the TSA, and anyone else involved. This Totally Stupid Asshole should not only lose his job, but he should be forbidden to go anywhere near an airport. Like ever.

Airport security is no laughing matter - or, as my father (God rest his soul) used to say, "this isn't about shits and giggles."

Drop kick this Totally Stupid Asshole like the piece of crap baggage he is, and kick him and his juvenile sense of humor to the curb.

Today. Now. Our national security is at stake.

UPDATE: The above was written at 2:15 p.m. According to this article, posted at 3:40 p.m., the Totally Stupid Asshole is no longer employed by the TSA. Good riddance. Buh-bye, and don't let the metal detector hit you in the ....


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

7 comments:

Niksmom said...

Rubin's column is updated to indicate the guy is no longer with TSA. Too bad Rebecca didn't think to take the guy's picture and plaster it all over the internet. Sheesh.

Laura said...

I just can't believe this would happen at a time like this! I actually live an hour or so outside of Detroit and have just felt so affected by what almost happened on Christmas day. I can only imagine how this young woman must have felt, taking a flight into Detroit so soon after Christmas and having this happen. All I can think is...Wow...

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

This is almost too appalling for words. And you are SO RIGHT about the lack of common sense. I'm almost inclined to think TSA hires people who cannot think for themselves so they can "train" them to follow the arbitrary and occasionally asinine protocol more easily.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

It is truly outrageous, isn't it?
Niksmom ~ thanks for the heads up on the update. It's a shame Rebecca isn't a blogger (at least that we know of :). 'Cause you know if this happened to ME, I'd have my camera in hand and writing a blog post before I was through the metal detector.

Laura ~ I can imagine that must be incredibly unnerving, especially living outside of Detroit.

Rebecca ~ It is appalling, isn't it?

Booksnyc said...

I travel by air quite a bit and, while often the TSA agents at security are quite professional, I am amazed at the frequency with which they behave rudely and unprofessionally. I recently had an experience where all the agents at a particular scanner were joking with each other, sharing text messages and ridiculing one particular passenger who kept forgetting to take one more thing out of her pockets - when they weren't horsing around, they were barking orders at passenger who were trying to comply with requirements but not quickly enough. All I could think was "I can't believe this is all that stands between us and the next disaster"

We should expect and receive more from these professionals charged with protecting us. What happened to that girl is appalling and a sad commentary on the state of airport security procedures in this country

Laura said...

Popping back in. Finally just saw this on a Detroit news station. The young woman wrote of her experience in the U of M school newspaper. I'm surprised it hasn't come up sooner (in the media).

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

I agree, Laura - you would think this would be a bigger story than it is. (Hence, one of the reasons I wrote about it ... not like I am anybody, but still.)