Sunday, January 24, 2010

Links Roundup

It has been quite a while since I did a links roundup, so I realize that some of these you may have already seen these days or even a few weeks ago. No matter. It's my blog and I'll include 'em if I want to. Which I do, because they are worthy reading.

On talking to kids about Haiti, from Genesis Moments.

From the Afghan Women's Writing Project blog: I Am For Sale, Who Will Buy Me?

Kelly Diels had a great guest post over at ProBlogger about the rules (or not?) of blogging ("The Blah Blah Blah Blogging Rules. F It.") A snippet of what she writes, almost poetically.

My point: blogging can be transformational.
You know why?
Because it is writing – and we might say, oh you don’t have to be a good writer to be a
popular blogger, but for the most part that is a big wiggly lie – and we’re doing it daily.
Those two things, together, mean we’re thinking about THINGS and working through them.
A-ha moments are practically guaranteed.
And then there are the people. Wow, the people. Blogging lets us find our people and that is a revelation. It is like coming home to a love-in, only everyone keeps their clothes on (usually) and talks pretty about thinky things.
It is beautiful. It is soul food that doesn’t make you fat.
Transformation, community, freedom, creative expression.
That’s why some (most?) of us are blogging. We’re not looking for another set of rules to obey.


A couple of posts of interest (at least to me) about Facebook. There was this Politics Daily piece ("My Bra? Color Me Furious") by Donna Trussel, which gives the perspective of an ovarian cancer survivor on the whole Facebook bra meme. (The comments are kind of surprising to me, to be honest.)

And my newly-engaged, friend-who-I-know from college Chris, also known as Another Delco Guy in South Jersey, reflects that Facebook helps us be the people we would like to be.

Have an older model iPod that you don't know what to do with? Consider donating your iPod to help a child with autism. Jess from diary of a mom (a brilliantly written blog, BTW...I wish I could write half as well as she can) is the brainchild behind this and the details are in this post, paying it forward - the freedom project.

The anniversary of Boo's diagnosis was this week, and quite frankly, it's a day we'd rather forget. Natalie from My Yellow Apple: Journeys in Parenting Asperger's Syndrome thinks otherwise, as the two year anniversary of her son Aiden's diagnosis is an occasion of honor and even celebration.

And another Natalie (this one from Between Fact and Fiction) writes about how much as we don't want to write, sometimes we have to Do It Anyway.

Happy reading!

3 comments:

christa @ mental foodie said...

The FB bra meme reminded me of this other post I read when the meme was going on - definitely gives a different perspective:

http://toddlerplanet.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/in-the-name-of-awareness/

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Hi Christa - Oh, thanks for reminding me of that one too. For whatever reason, I had it in my roundup but it somehow disappeared ... thanks for mentioning it!

Jenna said...

great group of links... I especially like the Haiti link- we talked about it in my classroom quite a bit, and today happened to have the news on when they were discussing after shocks, which of course led into an entire lesson! I think that some teachers are afraid of the backlash they may get from their admin when it comes to discussing these types of world news.