Thursday, January 14, 2010

Seeing Red

A man carried a child outside the Hotel Villa Créole on Tuesday evening. (photo credit: Ivanoh Demers, AP)

The morning news coming from my radio was, rightfully so, focused on the unfathomable devastation and destruction in Haiti.

I was only half-listening to the reports I'd already heard, until the announcer got my attention with a truly newsworthy item.

"And out in California, they're worried about rain, which is threatening to affect Sunday's Golden Globe awards ceremonies."

This wasn't said in a "you've got to be kidding" tone, nor did they say as much afterward. They were dead serious.

So was the obligatory spokesperson - an expert on such matters, if you will - assuring us that every preparation is being taken to avoid a disaster on Sunday evening.

"All the stars will be safe and dry on the red carpet," some talking head purred.
Whew, thank God for that. Because, you know, I was pretty concerned.

I may not have the quotes exactly verbatim, but trust me when I say this is pretty damn close. Appalled doesn't quite describe my feeling at this. An entire country is in shambles, in ruins, practically wiped off the map ... and there are people who actually are concerned about the possibility that the stars might get rained on while preening on the red carpet?

Are you kidding me? I'm sorry, but that is just the epitome of insensitivity.

In the midst of reports about the Red Cross and the red blood being shed, we're hearing about the red carpet. Which one of these things doesn't belong?

There's no reason why that spot should have aired. The earthquake happened on Tuesday; this was a Thursday morning drive-time broadcast.

I can't be the only person who thinks it seems kind of frivolous to even have the Golden Globes at a time when on this very globe people are suffering in unimaginable ways. It disgusts me, frankly, to contemplate the money that will be spent on this - the parties, the swag bags of stuff these celebs could afford to buy ten times over, the dresses that cost more than most people make in a year. Yeah, there have been a few bucks spent on the Golden Globes already but the money that would be lost by cancelling what is truly a superfluous event is nothing - nothing! -compared to what has been lost in Haiti.

This won't happen, of course, because we just love our celebrities. Worship them, even. Look at how much agita has been spent on the Conan O'Brien and Jay Leno brou ha ha, when even before the earthquake there were much larger problems in the world and our own country. It takes a disaster of these tsunami and earthquake proportions for us to momentarily care more about real life heroes than our pedestaled ones - and even then, it's a fleeting mentality. Soon enough, we'll be back to paying attention to the drama of the rich and famous, tuning into the reality show that is anything but.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad some celebrities have stepped up to the plate and are donating significant sums of money to assist the Haitians. I don't even care if they have less than altruistic motives, for they should be doing this.

But to worry about the possibility of rain on their red carpet parade? That should have all of us seeing red.



text copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

They sure have me seeing red...leave me speechless. (I am sitting her shaking my head!)
Bless ya Melissa!

Trisha said...

Bravo! This exact topic has been on my mind for the past few days. If all of the celebrities that attend the Golden Globes were to give 10% of their annual income...just once...Haiti could be back on its feet in no time. But why do that when you clearly need to buy a 100,000 dollar ensemble to wear to a party once?

Lisa said...

What you said!