Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Restless Reading, and Restless with Excitement for the 3 B's (BEA, BBC, and BlogHer)

Is it just me, or does it seem that a lot of us have had a restless time of reading lately? That January represented a sluggish start to our reading year, that it has been tough going?

Or maybe I'm just noticing these blog posts because I've been having such a reading month myself.

I'm ending January with only four books read (and four that were abandoned).

1. The Financial Lives of the Poets, by Jess Walter (review here)
2. Mrs. Dalloway, by Virginia Woolf (review here)
3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini (audio)
4. Poems from the Women's Movement, edited by Honor Moore

I'd hoped my current read, Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse, would have been #5, but chances are slim that I will finish it tonight. Honestly, I'm having a tough time with this one. I love the prose and the language, but am finding that I need to re-read passages several times. Maybe I'm not ready for another Virginia Woolf so soon after Mrs. Dalloway, maybe I'm not in the right frame of mind. Normally I wouldn't finish it, but I want to ... so I'm planning to continue with it.


I'm also reading a nonfiction book. Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and the Business of Life, by Getting Things Done guru David Allen. I looove David Allen and the systematic approach he offers for managing all the "stuff" we have to do. Of all the productivity and time management methodologies and systems, Getting Things Done (or, GTD) is the only approach that has worked for me ... when I actually do it and haven't fallen off the wagon. Hopefully this book will pull me out of somewhat of a rut in that regard.

And in other news, I'm going to this, this, and (hopefully ... maybe ... amthisclose to signing up for) this:



Yes, I've lost my blogging mind and have signed up for Book Expo America (BEA) and the Book Blogger Convention, both happening on consecutive days in May. I'm so excited (and admittedly, a bit nervous) for both, but especially the Convention. It is going to be great to meet so many bloggers at once! (I must say, though, as much as I love the Attendee list on the Convention page, it is not doing my Google Reader any favors ... because I've added even more blogs to my subscriptions.)

I have a little more time to come up with the cash for BlogHer '10 (if anyone wishes to give me an early birthday present and throw some cash my way ...). Honestly, I wasn't going to spring for all three ... but Florinda is planning on being at BlogHer, as will Kristen, Niksmom, and several other bloggers who I read regularly. As of now, I'm just planning to go to BlogHer on Friday for the day and skip the hotel room expense. But, I'm looking at this as an investment in my writing and a chance to build my personal platform and network. I also don't know when all three of these events will each be in New York again, and since The City that Never Sleeps is very accessible via a 2 hour or so Amtrak ride, it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd better get back to reading if I am to call myself a book blogger at any of these events.

Will I see you at any of them?



copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I know what you mean about the lack in reading this month. I actually checked and last year I read about 12 books last year and this year I only read 5. I guess being sick had something to do with it.

I too am restless with excitement about BEA.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

My reading ALWAYS decreases when I'm sick, absolutely.

Very much looking forward to meeting you at BEA. We will have to coordinate a time to meet up. (You SURE you can't hang around for an extra day? Really? :)

Kristen said...

Aw. I'd love to go to any of the conventions but the economy has just been kicking our rears this year so it's not gonna happen. :-( Have a great time at all of them. There are so many people I'd love to meet that I'd like to go just for that! Maybe another year.

Florinda said...

Hey, I'm looking for a roommate for BlogHer'10 (I've already made my hotel reservation)...could that tempt you into going for both days? :-). But even if you just come for Friday, that's something! However, one thing I learned last year is that if you want to meet up with someone, it really helps to coordinate it in advance.

And I only managed to finish 2 books during January myself. I'm NOT impressed with how I've started the year, and hope it won't be a trend!

Amanda said...

One of these days I will make it to the BookExpo (although I think my brain would explode from over-excitement)!