Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Few Links

I need to figure out a better system for this. I read a lot of blogs (a lot being defined as subscribing to 639 blogs, not like I read every single word), and there's a lot of good stuff out there that I like to make available to my readers here. Problem is, it tends to accumulate ... and then when I hit publish, it doesn't seem topical or trendy or relevant anymore. But it's still good stuff. I've tried doing these on certain days, but I'll put it off or want to write about something else, and then the links linger.

I've also been doing more writing than reading lately, which is a good thing. So, whatever my reason and excuses are, here are some links that I found interesting over the course of my blog reading in recent weeks. Hope you do, too.

If you read only one link, make it this post from Niksmom about why an advance directive is the most meaningful Valentine's Day gift you can give. (Yeah, I know Valentine's Day was last week. Doesn't matter. Read the post anyway.)

It seems that the news has been all about the snow and the continuing efforts in response to the Haiti earthquake (this series of articles ("Heartache in Haiti: Delaware Answers Call") about this medical team and their work in Jacmel has been among the best), but there has been and continues to be other news.

I'll try to highlight some of it here, starting with this post from Politics Daily about the International Violence Against Women Act receiving bi-partisan support earlier this month.

And the fact that there is another major disaster affecting the people of South Dakota right now.

A coworker of mine was very close friends with Tracy Hottenstein, who died mysteriously one year ago, on February 15, 2009, following the Polar Bear Plunge event in Sea Isle City, New Jersey. It's been an agonizing year for Tracy's friends and family. Watch this video about her friends' efforts to keep the case alive and if you are or know someone who was in the area then, forward them the link.

I wasn't aware that January was Thyroid Awareness Month until I read Catherine Morgan'spost ("Could You Be One of the 20 Million Americans with Thyroid Disease?") on BlogHer at the end of the month. It presents the symptoms of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, along with links to other posts on the topic. Given that I have hypothyroidism, I know a little something about this - but others may not. Even though January and Thyroid Awareness Month is over, it is important to know about the symptoms of thyroid disease, which are extremely easy to miss or dismiss.

This year has kind of gotten off to a difficult start, hasn't it? Over on Hopeful Parents, Jennifer writes that it is the Chinese New Year and hence, The Year of the Tiger and as good a reason to start 2010 over.

You'll get no argument here.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I know what you mean about the link round ups. they are time consuming but I still want to share links to great posts just like I want to share great books.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Exactly, Amy! I keep a post in Drafts and add the links as I find them, but they seem to get outdated quickly. Oh well ... I think I will keep doing what I am doing and not overthink this (as I am prone to do! :)

Niksmom said...

Thanks for the link-love, Melissa. As you know, the sad ending to the Valentine story is that my BIL's brother was kept on life support for several days before the doctors decided they'd done all they could. He died a very unpleasant death. Only to be followed by his sister 24 hours later. She was battling stage 4 cancer and collapsed after her chemo. Mercifully, she *did* have advanced directves in place and died just a few short hours after she collapsed.

People, get your advance directives in place! (Steps off soapbox)

southernmatrix said...

Thanks for the comment on Thyroid awarness month. I have been plagued with hypo type thyroid and now am without a thyroid....I am convinced the water supply is attacking our glandular systems....the fluoride in the water etc. Interesting supposition anyway.....