Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Glory Days

I confess:

I have what some would consider to be a morbid fascination with the obituaries. Every single day, I read them, every single one in The Philadelphia Inquirer. It's the first thing I do when I log onto my computer in the morning; the day simply does not start off right if I haven't read "the deads."

This quirk of mine has a significant role in the novel I'm writing. One could write a novel (or, at the very least, a dissertation) about why I am compelled to do this. I'm fully aware of the reasons why.

I find them absolutely fascinating. There are such rich character snippets in the obits (if you're a writer, I think you should be reading them) so I kind of thought it might be fun - or macabre, take your pick - to share fragments of some of these lives with you on an occasional basis. (Who knows, maybe it will become a book in and of itself?)

Like this one, from this past Sunday:

[Clarabel] will be most remembered for being the "Youngest 85 Year Old" you will meet who loved Bruce Springsteen and going to his concerts.

Now, speaking for myself, don't you wish you had known Clarabel? Damn, I'm betting she was a hell of a lot of fun to be around.

Rock on, Clarabel.

"We just sit around talkin' 'bout the old times/ she says when she feels like crying, she starts laughing, thinking about glory days/ well, they'll pass you by, glory days/ in the blink of a young girl's eye, glory days ..." Glory Days ~ Bruce Springsteen


Photo taken by me on March 3, 2009 at a boutique hosting an event I covered for work. Text except for "Glory Days" lyrics copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I think you're onto something...I mean, about finding story ideas in the obits.

I read them everyday, too, but that habit formed many years ago, in my early social work career, when I was working with the elderly population. I read them everyday to see if any of my clients had died.

Now I do it to see if anyone I KNOW has died!

christa @ mental foodie said...

Oh I love that dress! Do you know what brand it is?

Now you have me intrigued about reading obituaries... my husband read them just to see if he knew anyone (and we're in our early thirties!)

BTW - when I come to your site (using firefox) there's always a pop-up asking for username/pw for twitter (authentication required or something). I don't know what it means as I don't twitter. Just thought I'd let you know... it only happened in the past couple of weeks maybe? Didn't happen before that.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Laurel - I've been reading them since I was 15, right after my father died unexpectedly, so it has been a lifelong thing for me. Plus, there is a connection to my work, too.

Christa - thank you SO MUCH for letting me know about this. I've noticed it too (it's been since I added my Twitter feed) but thought it was only on my end. Can you let me know if it is still happening now? If so, I'll take down the Twitter feed until I figure out what to do. So much to learn for what is supposed to be a fun hobby! :))

I'll look up the info for the dress - I might have an idea.

DemMom said...

I had the same pop up when I came to the site just now. I read the obits too, partly because it might help in my job. Partly because, well, it's part of the paper. I read the paper! But people think I'm weird too. I always think of you reading them though!

christa @ mental foodie said...

It doesn't seem to have the pop-up now :)

re the dress - only if it's not too much trouble!