Sunday, February 28, 2010

I'm Going to BlogHer '10!

I've been going back and forth on this one for months, almost to the point of obsession. Should I stay or should I go now?

I almost signed up right after last year's BlogHer conference (which I did not attend), but when one person's post (in this case, Florinda's from The 3Rs Blog) convinces you this is where one should be a full year from now, that tells you something about the power of the blog.

And then the first-ever Book Blogger Convention was announced for New York City in May, coinciding with Book Expo America (BEA), and I knew I wanted to be part of the Convention. BEA is free for us bloggers (and especially now with the affiliation with Book Blogger Con), so that was a matter of Amtrak and hotel.

Which begged the question of BlogHer '10 - should I stay or should I go?

Yes, the money is significant. In a matter of six weeks, I've dropped a total of $300 on registration for blogging conferences - and that's before accommodations and transportation. But I am justifying this by thinking that these three events will likely not converge on NYC in the same year, and since I am the epitome of a white-knuckled flier, the likelihood of my flying cross-country to one of these soirees is next to nill. Amtrak is doable from where I sit, so ...

What the hell. I'm going. To all three. I feel like I am out of my mind.

But, I'm looking at this as an investment in my writing, in my blog, in myself. Maybe there comes a time when we have to push ourselves a bit, to do what feels a little scary and exciting at the same time, to believe in ourselves that the money will come back someday in the form of a new opportunity, a new contact, a new experience.

We'll never know unless we try, will we?

Early bird registration for BlogHer ends today. Registration for the Book Blogger Convention is still open.

Will I see you at either of them?





copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Florinda said...

YAY! And again, YAY!

Look for an e-mail from me re: BlogHer soon. I'm not sure we book bloggers will get a Room of Our Own (voting ends today!), but I'm glad to know there will be at least one more of us there.

Third cheer: YAY! :-D

(But if there's a Book Blogger Convention in 2011, I may think of doing that instead of BlogHer.)

Robin said...

I'll be at BlogHer! Look for me :)

Mel's Box of Chocolates said...

I'll be at BlogHer too!!! This will be my first time and I can't wait. Good to know another local is going.

Booksnyc said...

You're right - it's a worthwhile investment!

I will be at BEA and the BloggerCon - I hesitated but then knew I would only regret not going!