Friday, February 5, 2010

It's a Blizzard of Books!

Which is going to be higher, do you think? The amount of snow we'll see from this Snowpocalypse of yet-another East Coast blizzard? (They're saying we may get between 18" - 24".) Or the total height of all the books I have checked out from the library?

Yes, I've been kind of ... um, sort of overdoing it at the library lately. Just a smidge.

This isn't just from one trip to the library. Oh, no, no, no. Even I have my limits. This represents the collective total of what I have out, from the last few forays.

I know that we're expecting around 2 feet of snow, give or take an inch or two. I can't find our ruler, so I can only say that I am exactly 5 feet tall and this pile of books comes up to my hip. So, what's that ... like 3 feet or something? (A math major I was not.)

Needless to say, I'm guessing my stack of books will come close to what we will have on the ground by the time this craziness of a storm is over (just in time to ready ourselves for next week's onslaught). In case you're curious, here are some closer views of what the pile contains:

1. Of course, I'm still reading To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. I only have 100 pages left, so if I don't get too distracted by Facebook and blogs tonight, my goal is to finish that up. (Woolf in Winter Read-Along)

2. David Allen's Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and the Business of Life. I'm approximately halfway finished with this, too.

3. Anne Frank: The Book, The Life, The Afterlife by Francine Prose. Really looking forward to reading this one! It's about how, according to Prose, Frank's diary is more than just the journal of a young girl (which we already knew) but that it was a deliberate work of art. (Women Unbound Challenge).

4. If You Stay by Gayle Forman (YA Reading Challenge)
5. Best American Short Stories 2009, edited by Alice Sebold
6. Laura Rider's Masterpiece by Jane Hamilton

7. Melissa Gilbert's memoir Prairie Tale (really want to read this ... this would be a good one for a blizzard, with all those visions of Little House on the Prairie) (Memorable Memoir Challenge)

8. The Sweet In-Between, by Sheri Reynolds

9. Endpoint (poems) by John Updike

10. Carlyle's House, by Virginia Woolf. This is one of her "sketches" and I picked it up at the library when I couldn't remember the names of the books for Woolf in Winter.

11. Dreams From My Father, by Barack Obama (Memorable Memoir Challenge)

12. I See You Everywhere, by Julia Glass

13. Follow Me, by Joanna Scott

Wait ... there's more!


14. Surfacing, by Margaret Atwood

15.Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall, by Kazuo Ishiguro

16. Exactly as I Am: Celebrated Women Share Candid Advice with Today's Girls on What It Takes to Believe In Yourself (Women Unbound)

17. Outliers: The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell

18. A Mango Shaped Place, by Wendy Mass (Colorful Reading Challenge, YA Challenge)

19. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

20. The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine (Colorful Reading Challenge)

21. Childhood Unbound: Saving Our Kids' Best Selves-Confident Parenting in a World of Change, by Ron Taffel, Ph.D.

22. The Soloist, by Steve Lopez (Memorable Memoir Challenge)

23. The Seasons of Women: An Anthology, edited by Gloria Norris (Women Unbound)

24. One and the Same: My Life as an Identical Twin and What I've Learned About Everyone's Struggle to Be Singular, by Abigail Pogrebin (Memorable Memoir)

25. True Believer, by Virginia Euwer Wolff (YA Reading)

26. The Best American Essays 2008, edited by Adam Gopnik (series editor Robert Atwan)(Essay Reading)

27. The Best American Essays 2007, edited by David Foster Wallace (series editor Robert Atwan) (Essay Reading)

28. The Sacredness of Questioning Everything, by David Dark

29. Blurring the Color Line: The New Chance for a More Integrated America, by Richard Alba
and for the last pile ...

30. Notes from a Cracked Ceiling: Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and What It Will Take for a Woman to Win, by Anne E. Kornblut (Women Unbound)

31. Memoir, by Ben Yagoda (Memorable Memoir Challenge)

32. Hello Goodbye, by Emily Chenowith (Memorable Memoir)

33. Louise May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women (Women Unbound)

34. Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk

35. How It Ended (short stories), by Jay McInerney

36. Read My Pins: Stories from a Diplomat's Jewel Box by Madeleine Albright (Women Unbound, Memorable Memoir)

Have you read any of these? Which ones would you recommend that I make a point to get to? And if you're also in the midst of the Snowpocalypse, what are you reading?

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I don't feel so bad with my stack of library books now. I had to go and pick up three books that come in that I had on hold and I just checked onine and I have exactly 41 books out on hold. I have until the end of Feb to read and return them. I am thinking this is highly unlikely and books will be returned not read. Why do I do this?

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Probably for the same reasons I do! :) I was talking w/ my mom tonight and told her I was writing a post about the 36 library books I have to select from during the blizzard, and she remarked that she (who reads about 2 books a year, if that) could not even begin to think of 36 books she would want to read.

I don't know ... for me, it is about the thrill of possibilities, the idea that there might be a book in that stack that might become my new favorite, that I could pass along to others. I love having them nearby, as they currently are. I like having choices (I can't imagine just having one book out of the library at a time.)

Similarly, at work today, one of my coworkers said that I had like 50 books out in preparation for the storm, and another coworker said, "Library books?" as if this was some new-fangled concept.

I'm just glad that there are people, like you, who GET IT and don't think I'm crazy for having so many books out. :)

Florinda said...

If I were going to be marooned in the house because of 2+ feet of snow, I'd want plenty of books too! We're just getting rained on here on the West Coast.

Your stack of books would probably be almost waist-high on me - I'm just a few inches shorter than you are :-).

Booksnyc said...

wow! That is a lot of library books - definitely should get you through the storm!

I have heard good things about Jane Hamilton's Laura Rider's Masterpiece. And Little Women is an all time favorite book of mine so I would probably be drawn to her biography.

writergal said...

Good for you. I feel guilty if I have more than 10 books out from the library at one time and return books and then just get them again.
I have Prairie Tale. I bought it; just HAD to have it and have yet to read (something I do to often and am curtailing). I don't NEED to have books. I can get them from library...

I do tend to request books i've heard about and then of course they all come in at once and are new releases which adds pressure and I can never get them read, plus books I already own and want to get rid of to clear shelves or books from publishers (I don't get that many).

Lisa said...

Chiming in late, but I really enjoyed If I Stay and liked A Mango Shaped Space a lot. I'd be interested in the Melissa Gilbert one as well as One and The Same.

I love a giant stack of library books, all those little stickers on the spines.