Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Story of Beautiful Girl

On this blustery blizzardy day comes news of a new novel in springtime bloom. (Alas, publication is not until spring or summer 2011.) Writes one of my favorite authors, best-selling memorist Rachel Simon:
My new novel, tentatively titled The Story of Beautiful Girl, was just acquired by Grand Central Press, at the Hachette Group. It should come out in spring or summer of 2011.

The book begins in the mid-1960's and is about Lynnie, a beautiful white woman with an intellectual disability and selective mutism, and her sweetheart Homan, an African American deaf man. Both are institutionalized. One night they escape, and find refuge at the home of a retired schoolteacher, Martha.

The couple, however, is not alone; Lynnie has just borne a child. The authorities catch up to them; Homan escapes, Lynnie is caught, and just before she is forcibly returned to The School for the Incurable and Feebleminded, she manages to whisper to Martha: "Hide her."

And so begins the tale of three lives desperate to reconnect.

Photo taken by me at the Philadelphia Flower Show on March 6, 2009, and doesn't represent any connection to the book. (I just thought it seemed apropos to the post.)

5 comments:

Niksmom said...

OMG, I got goosebumps reading that excerpt. It sounds incredibly powerful.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Doesn't it, now? Have you read Rachel's memoir, Riding the Bus with My Sister?

Niksmom said...

No, I've not read any of her works. They are on my list, though.

Amy said...

this sounds great!

Luxembourg said...

I couldn't have known when I bought it that this book would become one of the books I would have to love and remember for a long time to come. THE STORY OF A BEAUTIFUL GIRL is a story to read and keep inside for life.