Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Sunday Salon: All Reading is Political

It's kind of funny, isn't it, when one book we're reading dovetails and segues so nicely into the next?

I love when that happens, especially when it isn't intentional. And it's been happening to me over the past week with the book I just finished, and the one I just started.

I'm a bit of a political junkie, althought, admittedly, an odd one. I don't always know who is who, (as evidenced in a recent job interview when I was grilled point-blank - and blanked - on the names of my elected officials) and I'm not always as articulate as I'd like to be on the issues.

But I love watching the players play the game, the drama and the scandals, the analysis and the punditry. And I like reading about political goings-on too, especially current events.
I spent most of the past week or so reading Anne Kornblut's absolutely fascinating, insightful, and incredibly well-researched Notes from the Cracked Ceiling: Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and What It Will Take for a Woman to Win. If you (like me) are participating in the Women Unbound reading challenge, this is very worthy of your consideration. Trust me on this.

Even if you're not participating in Women Unbound, it's a must-read for anyone who cares about women's issues, politics, and where our country is headed in terms of the prospect of a woman President. (After reading Notes, I'm not sure I will see this in my lifetime - although I certainly hope I am wrong about that.)

Of course, as these things go, just as I was ready to start Notes the library notified me that David Plouffe's book, The Audacity to Win was available. I have been dying to read this and wasn't expecting my number to come up so quickly. (I think I was 30-something.) I rushed over to get it before the third blizzard this month, and it has been on my coffee table for about two weeks now. (I needed to read Notes first because now it can't be renewed, since someone else is waiting. Arrgh!)

Since both books deal with the 2008 Presidential election, obviously there's going to be some overlap. And that is a good thing, I think. While reading Notes, I've been making a few of my own while wondering about how the same incident or strategy will be viewed by Plouffe in Audacity. I also have Game Change on hold, so my reading will be a political threesome.

I think this is kind of cool when one book sort of plays off one another. It's my idea of fun and relaxation. Sounds strange to non-bookish types, but I'm betting some of you get it.

So, what books have you read lately that have had this kind of symbiosis with one another, either intentionally or not intentionally?

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

The Cracked Ceiling book has now gone on my list!

I haven't read anything political for awhile...back in the day, that's ALL we did! LOL.

But I'm also participating in the Women Unbound Challenge and need to get going on it.

I will have to think about that question you posed...books leading into one another. I'm sure I might see such a pattern if I really look!

Generally I read a lot of books about women's issues and child abuse, and lately it's been child abductions...

My Salon is here:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunday-salon_28.html

DemMom said...

Love this! I've started Game Change. I've taken a break for a couple (non-political) 2 week, non renewable books but will get back to it soon. I also read All Things At Once by Mika Brzezinski. It was great and one of these days I'll get around to talking about it on my blog. It's not really a political book, but I love her and "Morning Joe."

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

DemMom, you know I had you in mind while writing this post. I'd love to see what you think about Game Change. I had been wondering about All Things At Once - you've convinced me to give it a try.

Laurel-Rain, if you read a lot about women's issues, you will definitely want to pick up Notes from the Cracked Ceiling.

Eva said...

I like it when books play nicely too! :) Although I can't think of any off the top of my head that that's happened to me recently. I'm more of an international politics junkie than domestic one, although that first one sounds so perfect for Women Unbound!