Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Dreaming About Books and Book Blogger Con

You know you're a book blogger when you find yourself, as I did last night, dreaming about this little preoccupation of ours. It's actually not the first time this has happened to me. (The first such dream, many months ago, was very similar to what I'd imagine Book Blogger Con will be like. Beth Kephart was passing around handwritten pages of a book-in-progress, clusters of us were fawning over such, gathered here and there in a hotel room, our laughter and chatter rising, and all was right with the world.) Sigh.

And then in last night's dream, a book blogger (a conglomeration of several people, really) picked me up at my childhood home in my Dad's '73 Pontiac LeMans and we drove to New York City for Book Blogger Con.

It doesn't take an exhumation of Freud to figure out that yesterday's post inspired that one, and that all of this bookish and blogging stuff is seared into my subconscious. I'm officially registered for BEA and Book Blogger Con (and you should be too ... I mean, seriously, have you seen the Book Blogger Con attendee list lately?!)

My former college communications professor (and current Facebook Friend) invited me to be on a social media panel during my college's annual Alumni Weekend (the weekend after all the aforementioned festivities). I'll be talking about my blog and why I blog. I have no idea what I will possibly say, but I'm really looking forward to this and am beyond honored to have been asked.

What I do need for this - and this is where I need your help, my regular faithful readers, you - is a one-sentence description (or "tagline") about what The Betty and Boo Chronicles is all about. My description in the About Me column is a bit wordy. (Heh.) As a little nod to one of my favorite singers, Carly Simon, I've come up with "it's the stuff that life is made of."

If you can do better (and I hope you can), leave your suggestion in the comment field by midnight EST 2/27. (You can even be entered if you comment on my suggestion.) I'll draw a random entry - which doesn't guarantee I will use your selection, but no matter because just for participating I'll give you your choice of a pre-selected book from my personal TBR library. Or something equally amazing. (And if you're in the Philadelphia suburbs - specifically the Main Line locale - and want to hear my words of blogging wisdom, I could probably getcha into my talk. I know people.)

In other bookish stuff, I think I've broken through my restless reading issues. I finished three books thus far in February and enjoyed all of them. They were To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf, Anne Frank: The Book, the Life, the Afterlife by Francine Prose (which I reviewed here), and last night I finished Prairie Tale: A Memoir, by Melissa Gilbert. Today, I'm looking forward to starting Notes from the Cracked Ceiling: Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and What It Will Take for a Woman to Win by Anne E. Kornblut. (It's already overdue to the library, but when you're racking up overdues in the two digit figures, what does it matter?)

Speaking of memoirs, several folks have already completed the Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge that I'm hosting. Kudos to Christa from Mental Foodie (love that blog title!) and Amy from Steele on Entertainment, and Sandy from You've GOTTA Read This! Not only did they reach their four memoir minimum for the Challenge requirements, but happily for the rest of us, they seem to still be going strong. There are probably others who have finished the Challenge but these are only the ones I know about.

If you're participating, feel free to link any of your memoir-related reviews that you read for the Challenge to the review page. And if you'd like to get in on the fun or see what it is all about, you can join anytime by going to the Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge page . I'm trying to read all the participants' blogs and reviews, but am woefully behind.

Well, that's about a month's worth of Salon chatter, isn't it? That's what happens when you miss a week. (I didn't intend to take last week off - my post on meeting Dabney Montgomery, a former Tuskegee Airman and bodyguard to Martin Luther King Jr. just begged to be written instead.)

Remember, leave me a comment with your suggestion on a potential tagline describing my blog.

'Till then, I'll be seeing you in my dreams ....

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

6 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Hmm, I'll have to reflect on that tagline! I like yours, though.

I see you're reading Prairie Tale, which I'd like to grab, but I already have several memoirs on my stacks that will qualify for that challenge. I've read two so far.

My Salon:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunday-salon_21.html

Diane said...

Good luck with your 6 weeks without new books.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I am not the greatest at coming up with catch little phrases like that, but it sound like you are on the right path. I am looking forward to BBC and BEA as well so hopefully our paths will cross at some points during the week.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Nicole ~ would love to meet you during BEA and/or BBC! Might have to email you with some questions on NYC logistic travel, if that is OK ...?

Booksnyc said...

I am looking forward to your review of Cracked Ceiling - I saw the author on Charlie Rose and she had some interesting commentary on the parallels between Palin and Clinton!

Trisha said...

Taglines are my nemesis so I will be no help in that area. Congrats, though, on getting to talk about your blog.