Saturday, February 6, 2010

Weekend Cooking: Cheesy Tuna-Stuffed Potatoes (in the crockpot!)

With this month's mid-Atlantic states' Snowpocalypse in full swing and Super Bowl Sunday tomorrow, what better weekend to begin participating in Weekend Cooking?

(That's not a commentary - deserved as it may be - on my slacker weekday culinary repertoire, but rather a feature hosted by Beth Fish Reads. It's open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. For more information, see the welcome post.)

A few weekends ago, I made these Cheesy Tuna-Stuffed Potatoes in the crockpot. It's a recipe from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook, by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann. If you're into crockpot cooking, as I definitely am, this is a cookbook that is a must-have.

The recipe notes in the cookbook say that this is a light main dish for lunch or supper, which is true. I also think these potatoes would be a nice addition to a Super Bowl menu, particularly if your plans have been somewhat downsized because of the weather.

Cheesy Tuna-Stuffed Potatoes

Use a medium or large round or oval slow cooker. (I used my 6 qt. crockpot.)

4 medium-sized Idaho or russett potatoes, scrubbed and left dripping wet (my note: I was able to fit 6 russett potatoes in my crockpot)
3/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup milk
One 6-ounce can water-packed tuna, drained
1/2 cup sour cream (reduced fat is OK)
1 green onion (white and some of the green), thinly sliced

1. Prick each dripping-wet potato with a fork or the tip of a sharp knife and pile them into the skow cooker: do not add water.

Cover and cook until fork-tender, on HIGH for 3 to 5 hours or on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

2. Remove the potatoes from the cooker with tongs and cut in half lengthwise.

Scoop out the center of each half with a large spoon, leaving enough potato to keep the shell intact. Put the potato flesh in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of the cheese, the milk, tuna, sour cream, and green onion. Mash the filling with a fork and spoon it back into the shells, mounding it high. Return to the slow cooker, setting down the stuffed potatoes in a single-layer if possible so that they touch each other. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 of cheese.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove carefully from cooker and serve immediately.

As I said, this could be a nice addition to a Super Bowl menu. I added some vegetarian bacon to each potato, which we had as dinner along with steamed broccoli. We enjoyed it (well, Betty didn't, but only because there are about five things she eats and the only thing that met her criteria in this dish was the cheese.)

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Heather said...

wow. this sounds amazing. I have to try it next week, but will need to find russet potatos. Thanks.

Kathy said...

I love my slow cooker! I am posting my healthy slow cooker recipes on my blog. You might fine some that interest you.

Kim said...

I think with modifications this recipe might work for my family!
*smiles*
Kim

Jill said...

Oh, YUM! What a great twist...and I'm definitely checking this book out. Gotta love the slow cooker!

Beth F said...

These sound so good and easy. Too funny that we both featured recipes from Beth H today!

bermudaonion said...

I have this cookbook on my Kindle but have never explored it - I'm going to look this up, because those look divine.