Saturday, February 27, 2010

Weekend Cooking: My Oh My, Quesadilla Pie!

Way back in August, I starred a blog post from Half-Assed Kitchen (truly one of my favorite blog titles - yeah, I see you smiling too) that highlighted this Quesadilla Pie recipe from Simply Recipes.

A week or so ago, searching through my tagged Google Reader posts for something different for dinner (and by different I mean not pasta) - I found this recipe for Quesadilla Pie.

My oh my.

This is a very easy dinner, possibly one that could be prepped or assembled ahead of time and just popped into the oven. It's extremely flexible, meaning that there are many possibilities for fillings. You probably have most of them in your pantry, and it is a perfect recipe for those times when you need to use some produce up. (And, being that my kitchen is truly a half-assed one at times, that is commonplace 'round here.)

For the filling ingredients in my Quesadilla Pie, I used black beans, onions, mushrooms, and canned diced tomatoes. I had to use the onions and mushrooms up.

Quesadilla Pie Recipe (my notes are in italics)

Basic ingredients:
4 large flour tortillas (9-10 inches diameter)
Butter
1/2 pound grated cheese, either mild or sharp cheddar, or Monterey Jack
Potential filling ingredients:
Beans, cooked (black beans, pinto beans)
Tomatoes, chopped
Summer squash, chopped
Onions (green onions, red onions, onion greens)
Mushrooms (if using a lot, sauté first, to remove moisture)
Cooked shredded chicken, pork, or beef
Chiles, either from cooked green chiles, chopped pickled jalapenos, or salsa
Cumin and/or chili powder for extra heat

Garnishes:
Chopped avocado
Chopped cilantro
Thinly sliced iceberg lettuce dressed with vinegar and salt
Sour cream
Salsa
(I didn't use any of the garnishes, with the exception of having salsa available at the table.)

Method
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter the bottoms and sides of a pie dish, approximately the same size as your tortillas (I used 10" tortillas.)

2 Place one tortilla on the bottom of the pie dish. Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the tortilla. At this point, you will begin to add your chosen filling ingredients, and layering the tortillas. Just make sure each layer has a generous sprinkling of cheese.

This is what my layers looked like (I added the tomatoes and more cheese after this photo was taken, as I firmly believe "generous sprinkling of cheese" is a command to be taken extremely seriously.)

3. Top off your layers with one last flour tortilla. Spread a little butter over the surface of this tortilla.

4. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Put in oven for 30 minutes on 350°F. Then remove the foil and increase the heat to 400°F. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into quarters.
(The crack in the tortilla was on purpose. That was my last tortilla, it was cracked, and I figured it was only going to get cut anyway and that the generous sprinkling of cheese would hold it together. Plus, given that I abide by half-assed kitchen type mentality, I had nobody to impress, so what the hell.)

Serve with chopped avocados, shredded lettuce, cilantro, salsa, and/or sour cream. Serves 4.

Our verdict? The Husband and I loved this. Boo commented that it "looked terrible, but was really delicious." Betty is a rather particular eater, and I'm sorry to report that she screamed and threw a tantrum when served this, opting to dine on a salami and cheese sandwich instead.

Elise from Simply Recipes has much prettier photos than I could ever take, so you should really take a look at her beautiful site (which has also quickly become one of my favorites).

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. For more information, see the welcome post.

8 comments:

Dana said...

Oooh, that sounds (and looks) delicious! Glad you enjoyed it!

Kim said...

Oh my! Yummy looking and sounding. My post this week is similar...
*smiles*

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

Mercy, that sounds soooo good! Will have to try it out. And yes, I'm sure my picky eater would also scream and refuse to eat it. Thanks for sharing. Have to go shopping now. :)

Heather said...

I like the idea that you can use what ever yu have on hand. Will be printing this out to give a try. Can do it without the meat for my son without any extra effort. Thanks.

Laura said...

Oh my! I have got to try that. Thanks for sharing.
I have a picky eater daughter living here (temporarily) too, but she's 29 so if she doesn't like what I makes she's on her own. :)

joemmama said...

Thanks so much for stopping by. That recipe looks so yummy...thanks for the post!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Hope you all enjoy this one, if you try it. It is such a simple dinner ... definitely my favorite kind!

Beth F said...

I don't worry about the impressing anyone -- especially for a family dinner. This looks so easy and so yummy. Yes, I"ll be trying it.