Monday, March 15, 2010

Book Review (Audio): The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
2003

"A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer." (pg. 301)

No matter how much we try to ignore, bury, or forget our past, it is always with us - as well as the burden of guilt that often accompanies the actions we'd prefer to forget, until we can forgive ourselves. Such is the premise of The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini's powerful bestselling first novel.

The Kite Runner is a heartwrenching story about friendship and family, about loyalty and guilt. It is the story of two boys, Amir and Hassan, growing up in Kabul, Afghanistan. Amir is the son of a wealthy man and lives a comfortable life; Hassan and his father work as servants in Amir's home. Amir's mother died during childbirth; Hassan never knew his mother, as she left him and his father when he was very young.

All they have is each other, and what seems to be - until one fateful, life-changing day - an idyllic childhood, even in Afghanistan.

Initially, I wasn't as captivated by The Kite Runner as I was with A Thousand Splendid Suns, which I also listened to via audio. Several times I found myself thinking, "this is what all the hype was about?" Make no mistake: Khaled Hosseini is a truly talented writer, and this is a powerful story - but unlike Suns, the first half of The Kite Runner didn't have me in its grip from the get-go.

That changed in the latter portion of the book. There comes a point in the story (and those who have read it know when that is) when the action steps up pace considerably, and you're on the edge of your seat wondering what happens. Hosseini gives his reader a believable story, and it is one that in lesser skilled hands could fall prone to the tendency to be tied up neatly and perfectly.

That's not this story, and it is even more stronger for it. For if the ending was different would have been a disservice to the character of Amir and minimized his struggles.

It's hard to say much more about The Kite Runner without giving any spoilers away. Despite my initial misgivings, in my opinion it has earned the many accolades it has garnered.

One amusing note: I listened to this on audio, but I also have a printed copy (yay, one book from Mt. TBR read!). In the back of my copy, there's an ad announcing that Khaled Hosseini's next book about Afghanistan "Driving in Titanic City," will be published in summer 2006. I never knew that was the original title for A Thousand Splendid Suns (a much better choice, in my opinion).

Challenges: Audiobook
Support Your Local Library Challenge (because it was an audio book)

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I was lucky enough to hear him speak...also before "A Thousand Splendid Suns" came out.
He gave a nice talk.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I have not listened to A Thousand Splendid Suns yet but recently listened to and reviewed this audio book too and I was blown away. If A Thousand Splendid Suns is half as good I will be overjoyed.

Khaled was an amazing narrator and I look forward to listening to him again.