Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Sunday Salon: A Menagerie of Books This Week


It's a gorgeous Sunday here, and Betty and I will soon be visiting the zoo (my 8 year old veterinarian-in-training wants to check on her favorite Siberian tiger), followed by stops at the library and the supermarket.  These were our plans for yesterday, but what I suspect is a burst eardrum of Boo's (and the resulting pain) kept us close to home.

Which was fine (being close to home, not the burst eardrum) because that allowed me to finally finish and write a review of David Plouffe's The Audacity to Win: The Inside Story and Lessons of Barack Obama's Historic VictoryIt's a very thorough account of the Obama for America campaign, and I liked this one a lot. The irony wasn't - and still isn't - lost on me that I finished this on the eve of another new chapter in the Obama legacy. As the historic healthcare reform vote looms this afternoon, it has the potential to be the defining issue of a historic presidency that Plouffe and so many people sacrificed so much to achieve.   I read this for my Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge (one more to go!) and for Support Your Own Library.

My last four books have been nonfiction, so I'm really craving a good novel right now. That's somewhat complicated by the fact that several books I want to get to are due back to the library soon, so I don't have the luxury of indulging in even a semi-chunkster - hence, I'm reading a few shorter, quick books at a time. 

I started Exactly as I Am: Celebrated Women Share Candid Advice with Today's Girls on What It Takes to Believe In Yourself at my desk over lunch. It seems to be a quick read and a good book to keep in one's purse (or Kindle). I'm reading this one for the 2010 YA Challenge and the Support Your Local Library Challenge.

I had ulterior motives for starting Madeleine Albright's Read My Pins last night as the kids and I were reading together before bedtime. Always one drawn to baubles, bangles, and beads, I thought Betty would be entranced by the glitter of the pins on each page. I was right, as Madeleine Albright's pins are absolutely gorgeous. More important, though, is that I thought it would be a subtle way of introducing her to our former Secretary of State as an example of an accomplished woman ... as opposed to some, uh ... other notables I can think of.  I'm reading this one for Women Unbound and the Support Your Local Library Challenge.

And then there are these two, which I haven't even opened yet, but which I am hoping to get to this week.


Oh, wait .... I almost forgot my audiobook!  I just started The Book Thief  (narrated by Allan Corduner) last week and am loving this.  It's kind of a Catch-22, though.  The writing is so good that I often think I should be reading this instead.  But then I think, isn't that one of the qualities of good writing, that it can work just as well spoken as written?  Regardless, The Book Thief was among my want-to-make-sure-and-try-to-read-this books for this year and now I understand what y'all have been raving about! My commute is going to be a few days less than usual this week, so it's possible I might have to resort to the printed word to keep up. 

OK, now we're off to see what awaits us at the zoo and the library. Make it a great Sunday everybody!

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Trisha said...

Oooohhh the Zoo! I wanna go too! Okay, now back to being an adult. You have quite a bit going on at a time with books it seems. I don't think I could keep it all straight. I'm more a one book at a time person. :)

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

I am too, Trisha ... maybe two books (an audio and a printed book). But I really want to read ALL of these ...

Nikki Thornton said...

Liked your post. Someday I hope to write a book where the royalties will pay for the copies I give away.
:-)
Nikki

beastmomma said...

I love the way you incorporate books into your interactions with your kids. It is very inspiring!! Here is my Salon post:
http://beastmomma.squarespace.com/from-shelf-to-hand/2010/3/20/the-sunday-salon-54-cut-for-stone-and-their-eyes-were-watchi.html

TC said...

I'm an audiobook fanatic, BUT the Book Thief is sort of a MUST read in print thing. Not just because of the language, but because there are drawings/illustrations that are key to the plot. There are very few books I'd say that about...but this is one of them.