Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Sunday Salon


How can it be possible that 2010 is already one-quarter finished?!   With this being the last Sunday in March, it is. Very hard to believe.

It has been a pretty good reading week for me.  I started - and finished Read My Pins: Stories from a Diplomat's Jewel Box. What a beautiful book! I must admit, before reading this, I wasn't aware of Albright's penchant for pins and the significance they carried in relation to world events.  It's a fascinating book for the photography of the pins, but also for her stories of her years on the world stage.

In last week's Sunday Salon, I wrote about my current audiobook, The Book Thief, and wondered if I should really be reading it instead. TC commented that this one really does lend itself more to the printed version because of the stories and pictures contained within. I took that advice and now am inclined to agree.  And now I agree with what everyone raves about with this one! 

I picked up a small volume of poetry at the library last weekend, started reading it while Betty was selecting her books, and couldn't put it down.  Slamming Open the Door is a powerful collection of poems written by Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno, following the murder of her daughter Leidy. I don't want to say much more about this one just yet - other than it is a powerfully heartbreaking collection - because I will be talking about it more on April 6 when I'm part of the 2010 National Poetry Month Blog Tour being hosted by Serena of Savvy Verse and Wit.

Hope you are having a great Sunday with much reading!


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

beastmomma said...

Madeline Albright seems like such an interesting person. I have also heard lots of good things about Book Thief. Was it hard to drive during the sad parts? I think that I would have been blinded by my tears; I have heard that a few passages are incredibly moving.

Here is my salon post:
http://beastmomma.squarespace.com/from-shelf-to-hand/2010/3/28/the-sunday-salon-55-cut-for-stone.html

Rita said...

NPR did an interview with Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno, and it was such a touching and moving piece. The strength that this woman showed in her time of mourning amazed me.

JoAnn said...

The Book Thief has been on my shelf for a couple of years now. Everyone raves about... can't figure out why I haven't read it. Read My Pins sounds excellent!